Starting a business

I am starting a business, what do I need?

If you are starting up or running a business within Frankston City Council, you may require a number permits and registrations including:

  • planning permit
  • building permit
  • kerbside trading permit
  • environmental health permits

Visit our What business permits do I need? page for more information.


Do I need a permit for a home-based business?

You will generally not require a planning permit to use the land for a home based business subject to meeting the requirements of Clause 52.11 (Home Based Business) of the Frankston Planning Scheme.

Should you require written confirmation that your home based business does not require a planning permit or meet the requirements of a home based business, you must submit a Planning Information Request to Council for review.

Clause 52.11 exempts the requirement for a Planning permit only. You may still require an Environmental Health registration or building permit depending on the nature of the business.