Valuations and objections

Council assesses the market value of your property each year for rating purposes, following the state legislation.  

We value your property based on: 

  • market changes in your area 
  • recent, comparative sales 
  • location and land size 
  • building value (size, age, quality and condition of your property) 
  • any other improvements and extensions to your property

Please note, Council valuations are for rating purposes and may be different from a bank or real estate market valuation.

If you have questions about your rates or valuation, visit our Rates FAQs page.

Making a valuation enquiry

The Valuer-General is the responsible valuation authority for most municipalities within Victoria. If you disagree with the value of your property you can call Council on 1300 322 322 or email to lodge a valuation enquiry within 2 months of the issued rates notice date. Please make sure to provide:

  • as much detail as you can
  • any reasoning as to why you disagree with the valuation.

Please check that you have not added your Site Value and Capital Improved Value together.

Making a valuation objection

If you disagree with the valuation of your property, you can submit an objection to the Valuer General of Victoria via the Valuation Objection Portal

Before submitting the online objection, please make sure you have your rates notice and any supporting documentation needed.

Please note: Objections must be submitted within 2 months of the issue date of your rates notices.  

Valuation objections can’t be taken over the phone or in person and must be made via the online portal linked above.  

What happens next?

It may take a few months before you receive the results of your objection. You can contact the appointed valuer to check on the progress of your objection. 

Once the valuer has made their determination:  

  • a recommendation is forwarded to the Valuer-General of Victoria for review and confirmation  
  • you will then be notified of the outcome. 

Land tax enquiries

All enquiries and objections relating to Land Tax Assessment notices are handled by the State Revenue Office, as they are responsible for issuing the Land Tax Notice. 

Please visit State Revenue Office for more information or to download the Land Valuation Objection Form.