Building Services

What we do

Our Building Services team is responsible for administering and enforcing the Building Act 1993 (Vic) and the Building Regulations 2018.

Our key functions include:

  • issuing building permits and advice where appointed as the ‘relevant building surveyor’
  • assess and administer building requests including report and consent applications
  • carryout regulatory investigations of alleged illegal building work and other building compliance matters
  • assess dangerous building structures and respond to building related emergencies
  • provide building information and approval documents
  • maintain building permits relating to privately appointed building surveyors
  • maintain the swimming pool register.

Building Act and Regulations

The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) regulates Victoria's building industry, which is governed by the Building Act 1993 (Vic). The Act sets out the framework for the regulation of building construction, building standards and the maintenance of specific building safety features.

The Act aims to:

  • regulate and protect the safety and health of people who use buildings and places of public entertainment
  • improve the amenity of buildings.

The Building Regulations 2018 set out requirements for:

  • building permits
  • building inspections
  • occupancy permits
  • enforcement
  • maintenance of buildings
  • functions and requirements of building practitioners.

Learn more about the building regulatory framework.

Getting started with your project

If you plan to build or renovate, the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) website provides useful information to help you understand the building process. You can find information on:

  • when a building permit is required
  • the building permit process
  • how to find a private building surveyor
  • additional requirements you may need for your project
  • technical information and fact sheets
  • becoming an owner-builder
  • resolving issues with practitioners.

Before starting your project, you will need to appoint a building surveyor. This can either be a private building surveyor, or a building surveyor at Council.

Unless you have appointed a Council surveyor, we are unable to provide technical advice and support.

If you choose to engage a private building surveyor, you will need to seek advice from your appointed surveyor, or seek support from the VBA if an issue should arise.

Visit our building permit process page to get started.

Complaints and disputes

Visit our report a building issue page for more information.