Liquor Licences

I would like to start serving liquor at my business, what licences or permits do I need?

You will require a planning permit issued by Council to sell or consume liquor and a liquor licence issued by the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR) prior to serving liquor.

A planning permit is usually required for:

  • the establishment of a new liquor licence premises
  • a different category of licence from that which is in force (changing from a cafe to nightclub)
  • if the hours of trading allowed under any licence are to be extended or varied
  • if the number of patrons allowed under any licence are to be increased
  • if the ‘red line’ (licensed area) is being extended or varied.

Which permit or licence do I require first, Council or VCGLR?

It's a condition of VCGLR liquor licences that the use of the licensed premises does not breach the planning scheme under the Planning and Environment Act 1987.

Applicants are required to provide a copy of their planning permit and endorsed plans with their application to the VCGLR. Therefore the permit from Council should be issued prior to applying with the VCGLR.

What information do I need to lodge an application for a Liquor Licence?

The following documentation will be required when submitting an application for a Liquor Licence:

  • A full current copy of the property’s Title (available from Landata)
  • A Red Line Plan
  • A written report including details of the existing and proposed hours of operation of the premises, justification for any variation from standard Liquor Licensing Victoria hours of operation and or standard conditions.

You will also need to provide a written statement describing how the proposal is consistent with:

  • the State Planning Policy Framework
  • Local Planning Policy Framework
  • the Municipal Strategic Statement 
  • objectives and design guidelines of the relevant clauses of the Frankston Planning Scheme.

What is a red line plan? Do I need one?

A 'red line plan' and is an endorsed document or site plan which dictates where the boundaries of your licensed area are. The defined area indicates where liquor can be supplied and consumed and is shown by a red line drawn on a plan of the premises.

A red line plan must be submitted with your application for a Liquor Licence and if approved will be endorsed (stamped) by Council to be read in conjunction with the permit.

How much does it cost to apply for a permit?

View the planning services fee schedule for more information.