How do I amend or end a Section 173 Agreement?

Section 177 and Section 178 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (Vic) set out circumstances in which agreements may be ended or amended.

One such method is by obtaining the written consent and agreement of all parties to the agreement. However, this can take time and may be impossible to achieve if there is opposition to the proposal or many parties are involved. 

In these cases, you can apply to Council to amend or end a Section 173 Agreement and have it removed from the land title. The process for applying to amend or end an agreement is explained in the relevant question below.

Depending on the complexity of the Agreement, the amending / ending proposal will be dealt with by Council officers, and may be referred to Council’s solicitors if required.