You will need a building permit to construct a deck regardless of its size.
You will need a planning permit if your land is in the:
- General Residential Zone and less than 300sqm in area
- Residential Growth Zone (and less than 300sqm in area.
You may require a planning permit if your land is:
- affected by an overlay
- has an existing planning permit
- there is more than one dwelling on the land
- the works are within the Tree Protection Zone of a significant tree.
In many circumstances, a planning permit is not required for deck associated with a dwelling if:
- the structure has a finished floor level not more than 800mm above ground level
- the land is residentially zoned and has an area of more than 300m2.
There are exceptions where the land is affected by an overlay that may trigger a planning permit for certain buildings and works, You can check the zones and overlays that apply to your property at VicPlan.