Septic tanks

Frankston City Council has a number of unsewered rural, residential and commercial properties. When considering the purchase of a block of land, you should first contact South East Water on to find out if sewer is available.

It is the responsibility of the property owner to find out whether sewer is available. Frankston City Council will not permit the installation of a septic tank system on a property where sewer is available. In areas where there is no reticulated sewer, household wastewater must be disposed of via a septic tank system.

If you have recently purchased a property or vacant land in Langwarrin, Langwarrin South, Frankston South or Skye, it is likely there is no reticulated sewer connected.

For vacant land purchased, you will be required to do the following:

  • Arrange for a Land Capability Assessment (LCA) to be conducted at the property (your plumber should be able to assist you with this).
  • Complete an application to install or alter a septic tank system.
  • Submit both of these documents to the Environmental Health Unit, along with the applicable application fee.

View or download the application form to install or alter a septic tank system(PDF, 1MB) .

If you have purchased an existing property, you will automatically be sent a letter with information about your septic tank.

Septic tanks are required to be emptied every 3 years. Septic tank treatment systems are required to be serviced quarterly by a suitably qualified person.

All pump out receipts and septic tank reports should be sent to the Environmental Health Unit when completed.

For all enquiries or to obtain the location of the septic tank on your property, please call the Environmental Health Unit.

Contact Us

Environmental Health Unit
Frankston City Council
30 Davey Street
PO Box 490
Frankston VIC 3199
1300 322 322