Climate change survey results 2020
Council’s recent survey shows that our community is deeply concerned about climate change. Over 750 people provided feedback on ways we can work together to meet the challenges of climate change at a local level.
The survey, hosted by an independent agency between July and September 2020, shows that 80% of respondents are ‘extremely concerned’ or ‘very concerned’ about climate change.
The local climate change impacts of most concern to respondents are:
- loss of biodiversity, flora and fauna, vegetation and habitat
- sea level rise and coastal erosion
- harsher and longer fire seasons and bushfires
- extreme weather events
- more hot days and heatwaves or drought.
They told us the 4 most important areas for Council to work on to address climate change are:
- preserving and enhancing biodiversity and urban forests
- increasing renewable energy use
- avoiding and reducing waste
- achieving sustainable buildings and homes.
To support community climate action, respondents would like Council to:
- provide advice and incentives to help people make their homes and other buildings more energy efficient
- provide grants for community groups to work on environmental projects that address climate change issues such as reducing emissions, increase vegetation and trees
- advocate on behalf of the community for climate action (e.g. to the State and Federal Government).
The valuable community input will inform the development of Council’s Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan, including ways to support individual and community climate action.
View the Climate Change Community Survey Report(PDF, 923KB) for more information on key findings.
Visit our Climate Change page for more information on the development of our Climate Change Strategy and what you can do to help.
To stay informed about our ongoing climate change response, subscribe to EnviroNews.
If you have any questions, contact us on 1300 322 322 or email@example.com.
If you need assistance or are having trouble with the website, please Contact Us.