Noise Complaints – Residential and Industrial

What to do about Noise?

Noise issues are often resolved by talking with your neighbour directly and working together to find a solution. In many cases your neighbour may not be aware they are making noise that may be disturbing other residents.

If approaching your neighbour does not resolve the problem, the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria may be able to assist. This is a free dispute resolution service which routinely helps resolve common neighbourhood disputes involving noise, fences, trees, animals and drainage.

Seeking assistance from Council or Police

If the noise occurs after hours, and is anti-social or threatening in nature, the Police should be contacted by calling 000 at the time of the offence.

If the noise is an ongoing occurrence you can seek help from Council’s Environmental Health Unit. You will be required to fill out a noise log with specific dates and times that the noise is occurring, this will be used by Officers as evidence.

Please Note: Council is not able to investigate noise from parties, children playing, yelling, screaming or one off occurrences.

Any reports of anti-social or threatening behaviour should be reported to the Police on 000.

Commercial Noise

Large Commercial Properties and Factories

The Environment Protection Authority (EPA) sets limits under its Noise limit and assessment protocol for the control of noise from commercial, industrial and trade premises and entertainment venues (Noise Protocol). The EPA will investigate noise reports about major industries.

Loud Noise from School PA system

Contact the Department of Education, South Eastern Victoria Region on 8765 5600.

Noise from buildings on Council Land

Noise from sporting clubs, halls and community centres - please contact Council’s Facilities Department on 1300 322 322. 

Entertainment Noise

The EPA (Control of Music Noise from Public Places) Policy is generally referenced in the venue’s Liquor Licence and the Planning Permit.

Complaints relating to music venues, outdoor music events, hotels, restaurants and nightclubs should be directed to Council’s Planning Department on 1300 322 322.

Motor Vehicle Noise

A noisy vehicle that exceeds noise limits of the Environment Protection Regulations can be reported to the Highway Patrol at your local Police station. Police will assess the vehicle, if it is above the prescribed limits, and can refer the vehicle to the EPA for further noise testing.

Prohibited times of Environment Protection Regulations do not apply to vehicles entering and exiting from a property or if left idling for a short period of time. Council cannot enforce noise from vehicles on a roadway.

Reports relating to noisy vehicles should be referred to the Police.

Reports relating to the use of recreational vehicles, mini bikes and trail bikes on residential properties should be referred to Council’s Compliance Department 1300 322 322.

Reports relating to noise from general traffic flow should be reported to VicRoads on 13 11 70.

Residential Noise and Prohibited Times

The table below relates to residential noise and prohibited times that could be useful when understanding the obligations of residents using such equipment. These restrictions also apply to tradespeople and contractors undertaking work on residential properties.

Note: The prohibited times apply when the noise from a prescribed item can be heard from inside a habitable room of another residential property.

Group   Prescribed items Prohibited times
  • Motor vehicles (but not when entering or leaving a site).
  • Lawnmowers or other grass-cutting devices.
  • Any equipment with an internal combustion engine not in group 2.

Monday to Friday before 7 am or after 8 pm.

Weekends and public holidays before 9 am or after 8 pm.

  • Electric power tools, chainsaws or circular saws.
  • Gas or air compressors.
  • Pneumatic power tools, hammers or other impacting tools or grinding equipment.

Monday to Friday before 7 am or after 8 pm.

Weekends and public holidays before 9 am or after 8 pm.

  • Home heat pumps.
  • Swimming pool, spa or water pumps except when used to fill a heating header tank.
  • Home heaters (including central heating and hot water systems).
  • Vacuum cleaners.

Monday to Friday before 7 am or after 10 pm.

Weekends and public holidays before 9 am or after 10 pm.

  • An air conditioner, evaporative cooler or split system used for cooling.

Monday to Friday before 7 am and after 11 pm.

Weekends and public holidays before 9 am and after 11 pm.

During aheat health alert, you can use your air conditioner at any time.

  • Musical instruments.
  • Electric audio goods, including stereos, radios, TVs and public address systems.

Monday to Thursday before 7 am or after 10 pm.

Friday before 7 am or after 11 pm.

Saturday and public holidays before 9 am or after 11 pm.

Sunday before 9 am or after 10 pm.

  • Electrical goods not in group 2, 3 or 4.
  • Not equipment for personal care or grooming, or for food heating, cooling or preparation.

Monday to Friday before 7 am or after 8 pm.

Weekends and public holidays before 9 am or after 8 pm.


Contact Us

For further information contact: