Noise Complaints – Residential and Industrial

What to do about Noise?

Noise issues are often resolved by talking with your neighbour directly and working together to find a solution. In many cases your neighbour may not be aware they are making noise that may be disturbing other residents.

If approaching your neighbour does not resolve the problem, the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria may be able to assist. This is a free dispute resolution service which routinely helps resolve common neighbourhood disputes involving noise, fences, trees, animals and drainage.

Seeking assistance from Council or Police

If the noise occurs after hours, and is anti-social or threatening in nature, the Police should be contacted by calling 000 at the time of the offence.

If the noise is an ongoing occurrence you can seek help from Council’s Environmental Health Unit. You will be required to fill out a noise log with specific dates and times that the noise is occurring, this will be used by Officers as evidence.

Please Note: Council is not able to investigate noise from parties, children playing, yelling, screaming or one off occurrences.

Any reports of anti-social or threatening behaviour should be reported to the Police on 000.

Commercial Noise

Large Commercial Properties and Factories

The Environment Protection Authority (EPA) sets limits under its (Control of Noise from commerce, industry and trade) Policy. The EPA will investigate noise reports about major industries

Loud Noise from School PA system

Contact the Department of Education, South Eastern Victoria Region on 8765 5600.

Noise from buildings on Council Land

Noise from sporting clubs, halls and community centres - please contact Council’s Facilities Department on 1300 322 322.

Entertainment Noise

The EPA (Control of Music Noise from Public Places) Policy is generally referenced in the venue’s Liquor Licence and the Planning Permit.

Complaints relating to music venues, outdoor music events, hotels, restaurants and nightclubs should be directed to Council’s Planning Department on 1300 322 322.

Motor Vehicle Noise

A noisy vehicle that exceeds noise limits of the Environment Protection (Vehicle Emissions) Regulations can be reported to the Highway Patrol at your local Police station. Police will assess the vehicle, if it is above the prescribed limits, and can refer the vehicle to the EPA for further noise testing.

Prohibited times of Environment Protection (Residential Noise) Regulations do not apply to vehicles entering and exiting from a property or if left idling for a short period of time. Council cannot enforce noise from vehicles on a roadway.

Reports relating to noisy vehicles should be referred to the Police.

Reports relating to the use of recreational vehicles, mini bikes and trail bikes on residential properties should be referred to Council’s Compliance Department 1300 322 322.

Reports relating to noise from general traffic flow should be reported to VicRoads on 13 11 70.

Residential Noise and Prohibited Times

The table below relates to residential noise and prohibited times that could be useful when understanding the obligations of residents using such equipment. These restrictions also apply to tradespeople and contractors undertaking work on residential properties.

Note: The prohibited times apply when the noise from a prescribed item can be heard from inside a habitable room of another residential property.


Contact Us

For further information contact:

  • Frankston City Council on 1300 322 322 
  • Frankston Police 000
  • Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000 

PDF Files Disclaimer

Get Adobe ReaderAdobe Acrobat is used to view Portable Document Files (PDF). Download the latest version of Adobe Reader from the Adobe website (the Adobe website opens in a new window).

All PDF files on this website open in a new window. If you cannot access a PDF document on this page, contact Frankston Council on 1300 322 322 for more details, or for a hard copy of the document.



Back to top