There is more than 925km of stormwater drains throughout Frankston city. Rainwater from roofs and streets enter these drains and run through our local neighbourhoods. The stormwater drainage network flows into our waterways leading to the Port Phillip (PP) and Western Port (PP) catchments.
To reduce pollution, Gross Pollutant Traps (GPTs) are installed at strategic locations throughout the city to collect and filter litter and debris that would ordinarily flow into the bays. Additional Gross Pollutant Traps are included in larger housing developments to sustain new stormwater systems.
An effective drainage system exists to protect our living environment and control flooding. This system is supported by a proactive maintenance program for the road reserve stormwater pits, this entails the pits being inspected and cleaned on a three year cycle.
The city has a specialist mobile drain cleaning vehicle that assists in cleaning operations all hours. Our drainage crew prioritise and tackle blockages in the drainage pipes as they occur Frankston City Council is responsible for maintaining 926 kilometres of stormwater drains, approximately 34,650 pits and some 12,000 pits within property easements.
There are 21 gross pollutant and litter traps installed, and about 210 outfalls into our waterways.
- Boggy Creek: Port Phillip (PP) Catchment with 70 Outfalls
- Sweetwater Creek: Port Phillip (PP) Catchment with 58 Outfalls
- Kananook Creek: Port Phillip (PP) Catchment with 60 Outfalls
- Seaford Wetlands: Port Phillip (PP) Catchment with 15 Outfalls
- Balcombe Creek: Port Phillip (PP) Catchment with 2 Outfalls
- Watson's Creek: Western Port (WP) Catchment with 2 Outfalls
- Eastern Cnt Drain: Port Phillip (PP) Catchment with 2 Outfalls
- Please keep well clear of Council equipment and vehicles during the inspection and maintenance of drainage assets.
- Don't walk, ride or drive through floodwater.
- Don't allow children to play in floodwaters.
- Stay away from waterways and stormwater drains, particularly when flooded.
If you need assistance or are having trouble with the website, please Contact Us.