Building a dependent persons unit (granny flat)

Do I need permit to build a dependent person’s unit (granny flat)?

A Building Permit is always required for a dependent persons unit. You will need to consult with a registered Private Building Surveyor to ensure works comply with legal requirements and to issue a building permit for you. The Victorian Building Authority website provides information on how to appoint a surveyor as well as a register of building practitioners to contact.

The Frankston Planning Scheme refers to a granny flat as a ‘dependent person’s unit’. 

A dependent person’s unit (DPU) is defined as: 

A movable building on the same lot as an existing dwelling and used to provide accommodation for a person dependent on a resident of the existing dwelling. 

To meet this definition, the building therefore must be: 

  • moveable, meaning capable of ‘designed to be moved from place to place on more than one occasion’. The building may be moveable from a modular design or small size which fits on the back of a truck. This would mean your dwelling could not be a permanent dwelling constructed, for example, of brick veneer. 
  • to provide accommodation only for a person(s) dependent on you. This may be your elderly parents or vulnerable person that is dependent on you. 

Clause 62.02-2 of the Planning Scheme exempts one Dependant Person’s Unit on a lot from requiring a planning permit subject to the above criteria being met Scheme (except for the Rural Conservation and Green Wedge Zones). If the criteria are not met, it is considered a second dwelling and will require a planning permit (Note: In a Green Wedge Zone and Rural Conservation Zone a second dwelling is prohibited).

How much does it cost to apply for a permit?

View the following fee schedules for more information: