Connecting Malls Project
Station Street Mall Improvements
Works will begin in the coming months to transform Station Mall into a safe, flexible and green public space and create a welcoming thoroughfare connecting the Station to Bayside and Shannon Mall.
The design incorporates feedback gathered from the local community during public consultation and the latest plan can be viewed online at Frankston.vic.gov.au under Our community / Community Development / Connecting Malls Project.
Key features of the design include:
- New festoon lighting to create a welcoming and safe atmosphere.
- New CCTV cameras to compliment the City Centres existing CCTV network.
- Increased greening via large circular planters to achieve urban forest objectives. The planting palette will reinforce connections to the Station precinct, define spaces within the mall, maintain passive surveillance view lines and strengthen local coastal identity.
- New central timber deck and seating to support outdoor dining and small events such as busking, pop up activations and small food vendors.
Traders will be notified of any possible disruption with works anticipated to begin in late May / early June.
These improvements are also part of a broader staged improvement program for the precinct including Station Street and Clyde Mall. Further consultation on the next stage of improvements will be provided in mid-2019.
The Station Mall Improvement project is jointly funded by Council and State Government, the latter through funds from the Frankston Station Precinct Revitalisation Project.
Clyde Mall and Ross Smith Avenue East Improvements
The concept for Clyde Mall and Ross Smith Avenue East forms part of a staged capital works improvement program to create welcoming and safe pedestrian connections between the Frankston Station and key destinations.
Based on initial consultation with key stakeholders a concept has been prepared for public consultation.
Key features of the concept include:
- Safe and accessible pedestrian connections across Balmoral Street and Ross Smith Avenue East.
- Increased user safety and comfort in the new Mall lighting and CCTV camera to compliment the City Centres existing network.
- Enhanced user amenity and accessibility in upgraded paving, seating, bicycle hoops, recycle and waste bins consistent with the City Centre Street palette.
- Increased tree canopy and planted areas with options for native and/or exotic trees.
- Potential for an interpretive overlay with the integration of the Frankston Hall of Fame through paving inserts and lighting.
The improvements are also part of a broader staged improvement program for the precinct including Clyde Mall and Ross Smith Avenue East.
Further information on the timing of works, which are anticipated in 2020, will be provided following the design phase (subject to Council approval).
Frankston City Council
30 Davey Street
P. 1300 322 322
PDF Files Disclaimer
Adobe Acrobat is used to view Portable Document Files (PDF). Download the latest version of Adobe Reader from the Adobe website (the Adobe website opens in a new window).
All PDF files on this website open in a new window. If you cannot access a PDF document on this page, contact Frankston Council on 1300 322 322 for more details, or for a hard copy of the document.