Kananook Commuter Car Park
Update: A planning permit application has been made for this project - Application Reference 760/2022/P. View the details of the application:
Submissions to the proposal can be made by 15 December 2022 by visiting the View advertised planning applications and make a submission page.
Council is partnering with the Australian Government to deliver a new multi-level commuter car park on Council-owned land adjacent to Kananook Railway Station and the Frankston Basketball Stadium.
Throughout 2021 Council developed a suitable opportunity with an $18 million Australian Government funding commitment that will see over 300 commuter car spaces delivered on Council-owned land by 2024.
Amongst the clear benefits to commuters across the Frankston City and Mornington Peninsula regions, the project will create 111 jobs providing over $8.9 million in wages and salaries, delivering $53.464 million in economic output while boosting the local economy by $17.295 million.
Located within close proximity to major arterial roads, pedestrian and cycling facilities, residential housing, a commercial precinct and catering to nearby recreation users, the Kananook Commuter Car Park includes:
- Over 300 new free commuter car spaces, which can also be utilised by recreation users outside of peak commute hours
- Dedicated bicycle parking within a safe and welcoming lobby area
- Clear and safe vehicle and pedestrian access points
- Connection improvements including landscaping and lighting to Kananook Railway Station and Frankston Basketball Stadium
- Futureproofing for additional level should an increase in car parking be needed
The project is expected to progress within the below indicative timelines, which are subject to change depends on project impacts (such as weather, approvals etc).
- August-September 2022 - Concept designs presented to key stakeholders and community for consideration - ACHIEVED
- Late October 2022 - Statutory and Planning Permit Application to be lodged and considered by the Responsible Authority - UNDERWAY
- October-December 2022 - Tenders sought. - UNDERWAY
- February 2023 - Tenders to be considered by Council for an award of contract to a Building Contractor
- Late March 2023 - Construction to commence
- March 2024 - Construction expected to be completed and official opening for community use
If you need assistance or are having trouble with the website, please Contact Us.