TAC L2P Learner Driver Mentor Program
The TAC L2P Learner Driver Mentor Program is a community based program providing on-road driving experience to Learner Drivers who would otherwise find it difficult to gain the minimum 120 hours driving required to apply for a Victorian Probationary licence. Following the four stages of the Graduated Licencing System, the program focuses on helping young people become safe confident drivers, in an effort to reduce Victoria’s road toll. It also provides an opportunity for young people to interact with positive adult role models, gain confidence and move towards social independence.
The TAC L2P Program is funded by the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) and the Department of Transport (DoT), supported by the Victorian Government and coordinated by Frankston City Council
With the assistance of volunteer mentor driving supervisors, Council provides this program in Frankston City for young people who may otherwise have no access to a supervising driver or vehicle. This is a free service for eligible young people to help them gain the necessary skills to obtain their Probationary Licence.
Who is Eligible for TAC L2P Program?
To be eligible for the TAC L2P Program, Learners must:
- Not have access to either a vehicle, a supervising driver, or both
- Be between 16 and 21 years of age
- Hold a current Victorian Learner Permit
- Live in the City of Frankston municipality
Applications outside of the standard criteria will also be considered. Please contact the L2P Coordinator for further information
What the TAC L2P Program can do for you
- The Frankston TAC L2P Program will provide you with seven driving lessons with a professional driving instructor who will introduce the necessary skills for safe driving
- Match you up with a fully-licenced volunteer Mentor who will assist you to practise those skills
- Provide use of the L2P Program Car
- Assist you with Driver Safety education and knowledge
The program does not substitute for professional driving lessons, and L2P does not pay for the probationary driving test itself.
Application Process for Learners
To apply for the TAC L2P Program, Learners, or their parent or guardian, need to complete a Learner Driver Application form (See Related Documents). Completed forms should be sent to the Frankston L2P Coordinator.
Becoming an L2P Mentor
The TAC L2P program doesn’t just benefit Learner Drivers. The program gives our volunteer mentors an opportunity to connect with their community, and directly help a young person. We have a full training program for Mentors to ensure you’re well prepared to mentor a Learner Driver and understand your role as a supervising driver.
Mentors need to meet the following criteria to join the TAC L2P Program:
- be over 21 years old
- hold a current full Victorian Driver Licence
- can commit approximately 2 hours per week
(See Required Documents for Mentor Expression of Interest Forms)
TAC L2P Forms
- VicRoads - Read more about getting your Ps
- Lessons from the Road - Some useful videos for learners and their supervising drivers
- Keys2Drive - Free driving lessons for all learners and their supervising drivers
- Drive Smart - Prepare for your licence and become a safer driver
If you meet these criteria, you or your parent, school or community group can contact:
TAC L2P Project Coordinator
P. 03 9768 1313
Proudly Supported by