Pet registration and renewal

Registering your dog or cat helps us to reunite you quickly if they become lost.

Pet registration summary

  • All dogs and cats over the age of 3 months must be microchippeddesexed and registered with us
  • Registration must be renewed every year by 10 April (you will receive a reminder)
  • If you do not register your pet, you may be fined
  • Desexing of cats and dogs is compulsory in Frankston City Council
  • If you have more than 2 dogs and/or 2 cats, you must also apply for an Excess Animal and Birds Permit

Pay your pet registration renewal

If your pet is already registered with Frankston City Council, we send you a letter each year in March when your pet registration is due for renewal.

You must pay your renewal fee by 10 April each year. You can pay your registration renewal online, by phone on 1300 322 322, or in person at one of our service centres.

You will need the details from your renewal notice to make the payment.

Renew your registration online:

Renew dog registration online

Renew cat registration online

Register your pet (first time registration)

Register Online

Register your pet online

To register your pet for the first time with Frankston City Council, you will need:

Your pet's microchip number and one of the following documents:

  • proof of desexing (desexing certificate), OR
  • proof of why your pet isn't desexed (membership of applicable organisation or written vet advice)
  • A Visa or Mastercard credit/debit card to pay the non-refundable registration fee (we don’t accept Amex/Diners card online)

If you are unable to pay online by credit/debit card, download and complete the (PDF, 977KB)Dog and cat registration form(PDF, 977KB) .

You cannot register Restricted Breed, Declared Dangerous or Declared Menacing dogs online – please call us for advice.

If the owner of a dog or cat is under the age of 18 years then their parent or guardian is to be listed as the pet owner, as per the Domestic Animals Act 1994.

More Information

Annual Registration Fees

 Registration type Annual fee
(pro-rata rate may be applicable)
Annual fee for eligible pension card holder*
(pro-rata rate may be applicable)
Desexed dog/cat (compulsory)  $60  $30
Dog/Cat with temporary desexing exemption from a vet  $100  $100
Dog/Cat with permanent desexing exemption from a vet  $60  $30
Working dog  $60  $30
Dog/cat kept for breeding at a registered domestic animal business  $60  $30
Dog that has undergone obedience training that complies with the regulations       $60  $30
Dog/Cat Association Membership (must present pedigree certificate & current animal association membership card)  $60  $30
Declared dogs (dangerous/menacing/restricted)  $400  $400
Registered foster carers                                                           $8  $8
Guide dogs and government service dogs  Free  Free
Animals adopted from The Lost Dog's Home (must show proof of purchase)  Free (for first year)  Free (for first year)


*Eligible pension card holders must provide a copy of their pension card. See below for a list of accepted pension cards.

Accepted Pension cards

Pet owners who have one of the following Pension cards receive the discounted pension fee for registration (excluding Declared dogs):

  • Pensioner Concession Card – issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card – War Widow (WW)
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card – Totally & Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)

Compulsory desexing

You must have your dogs and cats desexed if they live in Frankston City Council, unless your pet is too young to be desexed or used for breeding purposes (and registered with a suitable membership organisation).

What to do if your pet isn't desexed

Your dog or cat must be desexed if it lives in Frankston City Council, unless it meets one of the following conditions:

  • your vet believes your pet should not be desexed for medical reasons (you must submit a letter from your vet with your application describing their recommendation)
  • you are a current member of one of the following organisations and your dog/cat is registered with it (membership card and pedigree certificate are required):
    • Dogs Victoria
    • Greyhound Racing Victoria
    • Feline Control Council of Victoria Inc
    • The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Association
    • Australian National Cat Inc
    • Master Dog Breeders and Associates (MDBA)

Obedience training

Frankston City Council encourages you to obedience train your dog for the safety of you, your pet, and the community. The following training businesses are accredited and recommended by the state government:

  • Dogs Victoria
  • Australian Association of Professional Dog Trainers Inc
  • The Gentle Dog Trainers Association
  • Four Paws K9 Training

Frankston City Council has an incentive program to reward owners who undertake obedience training for their dogs. These owners are eligible for a 10 per cent reimbursement of the fee for undertaking obedience training with an approved training organisation (conditions apply). 

View our Dog Obedience Training Fact Sheet(PDF, 629KB)

Annual Adoption Drive

To encourage more residents to adopt a pet from Council’s pound service (The Lost Dog's Home), we give away 15 pets free each year following our annual Pet’s Day Out event in October.

Keep an eye out for more information in Frankston City News and on our Facebook page.

Lifetime registration tag

After we process your pet registration, we will send you a lifetime tag that your pet must wear at all times.

Owners of registered pets found wandering without their tag may be fined. If your pet loses its tag, contact us to request a free replacement.

Moving from another municipality

When you move into Frankston City, you must apply to register your pet with us.

Update your details

Change of address or contact details

If you have moved house or changed other contact details, please update your pet registration details  

Don't forget to also update your details with the relevant microchipping agency, in case your pet is found wandering outside Frankston City.

If, sadly, your pet has passed away

If your pet has passed away, please notify us so we can update the records.

Notify us of a deceased pet.

Change of animal owner

If you take over ownership of a cat or dog that is already registered in Frankston City, simply complete and submit the Change of ownership form(PDF, 314KB) .

Apply for an 'Excess Animal and Birds Permit'

If you have or intend to have more than 2 dogs or 2 cats in a house, or you keep excess numbers of birds, mice or rabbits, you must also apply for an 'Excess Animal Permit' by downloading and completing an Application for excess animal and bird permit(PDF, 490KB). For more information, read about our permitted number of pets.