Pet registration and renewal

All dogs and cats over the age of 3 months must be microchipped, desexed and registered with us.

Registering your dog or cat helps us to reunite you quickly if they become lost.

If you do not register your pet, you may be fined.

Compulsory desexing

Desexing your pet is mandatory in Frankston City, unless your pet is too young to be desexed or used for breeding purposes (and registered with a suitable membership organisation).

If your pet is too young to be desexed, you can still apply to register it with us from 3 months old, by providing a letter from your vet with your application.

Find out more about registering a pet that isn't desexed.

Register your pet

Registration fees

The full registration fee is $50.

Pet owners who hold a valid pension card receive a 50% discount.

Guide dogs and assistance dogs can be registered for free.

Apply online

You will need:

  • microchip number
  • one of:
  • a Visa or Mastercard credit/debit card to pay the non-refundable registration fee (we don’t accept Amex/Diners card online)

Register online.PNG

If you are unable to pay online by credit/debit card, download and complete the Dog and cat registration form (100KB).

You cannot register Restricted Breed, Declared Dangerous or Declared Menacing dogs online – please call us for advice.

Lifetime registration tag

After we process your pet registration, we will send you a lifetime tag that your pet must wear at all times.

Owners of registered pets found wandering without their tag may be fined. If your pet loses its tag, contact us to request a free replacement.

Moving from another municipality

When you move into Frankston City, you must apply to register your pet with us.

Renew your pet registration each year

We send you a letter each year in March when your pet registration is due for renewal.

You must pay your renewal fee by 10 April, regardless of when you paid your previous registration fee.

Renew dog registration button.jpg

Renew cat registration button.jpg

Excess animal and birds permit

If you have more than 2 dogs or 2 cats in a house, or you keep birds, mice or rabbits, you may need an Excess animal and bird permit, in addition to registering your dogs and cats.

Change of address or contact details

If you have moved house or changed other contact details, please update your pet registration details.

Don't forget to also update your details with the relevant microchipping agency, in case your pet is found wandering outside Frankston City.

Deceased pet

If your pet has passed away, please notify us so we can update our records.

Notify us of a deceased pet.

Change of animal owner

If you take over ownership of a cat or dog that is already registered in Frankston City, simply complete and submit the Change of ownership form (314KB).

Registering pets that aren't desexed

Your dog or cat must be desexed before we can register it, unless it meets one of the following conditions:

  • your vet believes your pet should not be desexed (you must submit a letter from your vet with your application)
  • you are a current member of one of the following organisations and dog/cat is registered with it (membership card and pedigree certificate are required):
    • Feline Control Council of Victoria Inc
    • Dogs Victoria
    • Cats Victoria Inc
    • Greyhound Racing Victoria
    • The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Association
    • Australian National Cat Inc
Main Image - default
Back to top