Parking infringements

If you receive a parking infringement notice, you need to pay by the due date on the notice to avoid extra costs or further legal action.

Pay a parking infringement

If you disagree with the decision or don't believe that you should have received the fine, you have the following options:

Appeal an infringement notice

A person who receives a parking infringement notice may request a review of that notice to Council within 21 days of it being issued.

A review of an infringement notice may be requested if:

  • you are of the belief that the parking infringement notice is incorrect, or
  • there are circumstances Council should consider

Council may withdraw a parking infringement notice if:

  • your vehicle broke down
  • you were involved in a medical emergency
  • you are a new resident and you haven't received a permit yet
  • you have have reported evidence of a faulty ticket machine or poor signage.

You must provide evidence such as:

  • letter from the hospital or your doctor if there was a medical emergency
  • towing docket or repair invoice if your vehicle broke down
  • a lease or contracts of sale if you are a new resident.

Council may also need a Statutory Declaration if the circumstances are complex and your evidence does not explain everything that happened.

Dispute a parking infringement

Elect to have the matter heard and determined in court

The person named on the infringement notice may elect to have the matter heard and determined in a Court.

Ignoring your infringement can lead to court action. If the fine is sent to the Infringements Court, your driving licences may be suspended until the fine is paid.

You must notify Frankston City Council in writing if you wish to refer the matter to the Magistrates Court. You can email or submit your request by mail:

Frankston City Council
PO Box 490
Frankston 3199

Nominate another driver

If you received an infringement but you believe someone else is responsible, you can nominate another person. You must submit a request for review before the due date.

Nominate another driver

When Council won't withdraw a parking fine

Council will not consider a review of a parking fine for the following reasons:

  • poor visibility due to weather
  • not noticing a sign
  • no change to put in meter/ticket machine
  • left vehicle to get coins to put in meter/ticket machine
  • reading only part of a sign
  • being unable to read the sign from the front seat of the car
  • forgetting to read the sign
  • not noticing that a sign or restriction has been changed
  • running late or being in a hurry
  • parking within 10 metres of an intersection
  • being delayed at an appointment.
  • stopping for a short time in a prohibited area, such as stopping in a ‘no stopping’ area even if it is just to pick up or drop off passengers or goods
  • being new to the area and unfamiliar with the restrictions
  • being unaware of the road rules
  • using a parking permit in a street other than the street shown on the permit
  • not having a residential parking permit clearly visible in the vehicle when parking in a restricted resident area
  • displaying an expired residential parking permit when parking in a restricted resident area
  • non-residents parking in restricted resident’s areas.