What do I do if my neighbour's tree looks unsafe?

Council is unable to assist in private matters related to trees and neighbours.

We suggest discussing your concern with your neighbour, seeking your own legal advice and if required, engage a private arborist to assess the tree.

If you are unable to resolve the matter with your neighbour privately, the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria (DSCV) may be able to offer some assistance and if necessary, mediate between both parties. DSCV is a free dispute resolution service funded by the Victorian Government.

Branches that overhang your property boundary can be pruned back. Please contact us to determine if a permit is required. It is advisable to speak to your neighbour before undertaking any work

You may also like to engage a private arborist. Visit our Maintaining trees on your property page for tips on choosing an arborist.

If a tree is posing an immediate risk to people or property call us on 1300 322 322.