Dividing Fences

Dividing or Common Boundary Fences

Side fences can be up to 1.5 m high within the first 3 m of your front property boundary, and increase to 2 m from that first point onwards without a Building Permit. 

You will require a building permit for any fences higher than these limits, and whenever it is proposed to vary from the building regulations through the Report and Consent Approval process.

If the dividing/common boundary fence also acts as part of enclosure of a spa or swimming pool, a Building Permit is required regardless of height.  View the 'Pools and Spas page'.

Common/Dividing boundary fences are generally governed under the Fencing Act and are a civil issue. Council's Building Department has no jurisdiction on matters relating to a common fence where a Building Permit is not required.

Please obtain further information, Notice to Fence and any Disputes by contacting the Disputes Settlement Centre of Victoria, phone 1800 658 528; Law Institute of Victoria, phone (03) 9607 9311 or view Fencing Online for assistance.

Neighbouring Property Owner Details

Council's Rates Department can assist in fence matters by providing the name and mailing address of neighbouring property owners in writing in regard to Notice to Fence.  To obtain these details, complete and submit the Request for Property Owner Details for Fencing Purposes form.

The information we provide can only be used for fencing matters stated on the application form.  No other personal information will be provided about the neighbour.

Fencing Disputes

These issues are a civil matter dealt with the owners under the Fencing Act, which is not a Council matter. 

The following may be able to assist:

  • Dispute Settlement Centre, phone (03) 9603 8370
  • Department of Justice
  • Fencing Online
  • Law Institute of Victoria, phone (03) 9607 9311

Contact Us

Frankston City Council
30 Davey Street
Frankston 3199
P. 03 9784 1900 
E. correspondence@frankston.vic.gov.au

PDF Files Disclaimer

Get Adobe ReaderAdobe Acrobat is used to view Portable Document Files (PDF). Download the latest version of Adobe Reader from the Adobe website (the Adobe website opens in a new window).

All PDF files on this website open in a new window. If you cannot access a PDF document on this page, contact Frankston Council on 1300 322 322 for more details, or for a hard copy of the document.

Back to top