Depending on the concession card you currently hold, you may be eligible for a discount on your annual rates. A property owner can apply for a concession for a property (or a part of a property) that is their primary place of residence.
Rates concessions do not apply to properties which you don't live in, such as:
- investment properties
- vacant land.
Eligible residents can receive an overall maximum concession of $303.20 for the 2022-2023 period. This is made up of:
- a 50% discount off your Council rates, up to a maximum of $253.20
- an additional $50.00 discount off the fire service levy charges.
The State Government decides the municipal rates concession amount each year, in line with inflation.
Please note that your rates concession amount is not affected by rate capping.
To be eligible for the municipal rates and charges concession, the ratepayer must hold one of the following current and valid concession cards:
- Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) issued by the Australian Government, Department of Human Services (formally Centrelink)
- Pension Concession Card (PCC) issued by Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA)
- DVA Gold Repatriation Heath Card - Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
- DVA Gold Repatriation Heath Card - For All Conditions - War Widow/Widower (WW)
In addition to holding an eligible concession card, you must:
- be the person responsible for payment of the rates
- have your name on the rates notice
- make sure your name and address is the same on your rates notice and on your concession card.
You are not eligible for concession on municipal rates and charges if you hold the following cards:
- Health Care Card issued by Australian Government, Department of Human Services
- Commonwealth Seniors Heath Card issued by Australian Government, Department of Human Services
- DVA Gold Repatriation Health Card - For All Conditions
- DVA Repatriation Heath Card - For All Conditions (Dependent)
- Victorian Seniors Card
Submit an application to receive a concession on your annual rates.
Learn more about concession entitlements on the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing website.