Love Where You Live – Community Projects
Get involved, connect with local people, and build community pride.
Residents are invited to make a difference in their suburb as part of the ‘Love Where You Live’ initiative in 2019.
Council’s Community Strengthening team are facilitating seven new community projects and are seeking residents to be part of the working groups who make them happen. Members of the working group must live, work, study or play in the local area.
The seven projects will occur in the following suburbs:
- Frankston North
- Frankston South
- Carrum Downs Skye & Sandhurst (combined)
- Frankston Central/Heights (combined)
Here’s a snapshot of current and pending projects in each suburb
- The SEAFORD group are developing a community walk, with “champions” leading a section and coming sharing the new and old stories along the way. Finishing with a community event near the foreshore.
- The FRANKSTON NORTH group are already underway and have hosted their first ‘Frankston North Community Market’ giving local people a chance to sell their wares and find a bargain! Keep an eye out for the next markets in spring.
- CARRUM DOWNS, SKYE & SANDHURST have just launched and their project is shaping up to focus on developing a Facebook group for local communication!
- LANGWARRIN'S project looks to show people the heart and soul of Langwarrin through a bus tour using local school children as tour guides at each stop.
- Throughout FRANKSTON CENTRAL & HEIGHTS from May there will be pop-up planter boxes, maintained by local businesses and individuals.
- Our little suburb of KARINGAL, although it doesn’t have its own postcode, has a strong identity and history. Karingal are working on a community day for newcomers and old-timer's to meet each other and enjoy their sense of community. Sure to include a BBQ!
- And FRANKSTON SOUTH is just getting started and there is talk of creating a photographic style project, stay tuned.
Each working group will be supported by two Council staff members and a small project budget. The groups will meet monthly at a local venue and also receive training opportunities to boost skills in the group! All seven groups will come together in March 2020 to present on their project.
Why get involved?
- Plan, implement and report on a community project
- Build self-esteem and be empowered by making a difference in the community
- Jazz up your resume
- Be part of a purpose driven working group
- Learn from community leaders within the groups
- Get leadership and public speaking training
- Widen your social circle
- Gain experience in managing budgets, project & event management, working in a team
- Grow skills in confidence, communication, responsibility and innovation
- Help your community feel proud of their suburb
The ‘Love Where you Live’ initiative is a great way to get more involved in the community and contribute to a meaningful project. Aside from embarking on a fun new hobby and forming new local friendships, you will help create connections and build local pride in your suburb.
How to get involved
There are three ways you can get involved:
- Attend a networking ‘launch’ event for your suburb
- Join the working group in your suburb
- Elect to stay informed about the project
You can register your interest for the project happening in your suburb online:
For more information
Please contact Frankston City Council’s Community Development Team
P. 03 9768 1629