Apply for a Farm Rate
If you own property that is two hectares or greater in size and is used primarily for farming purposes as a business, you may be eligible for the reduced Farm Rate.
Council introduced a reduced rate for Farm Land under Section 161 of the Local Government Act 1989. This decision was made to support and encourage agricultural production in the green wedge of the Frankston Municipality.
What is the Farm Rate discount?
The farm rate is a 20% discount off your general rate. The rate for Farm Land, for the 2020- 2021 period is .001861 cents in the dollar.
In order to calculate your rates (not including additional charges), the Capital Improved Value (CIV) of your property is multiplied by the rate.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for the farm rate you must own property that is two hectares or greater in size and used as 'farm land'.
The term ‘farm land’ applies to any rateable land that is used primarily for farming purposes as a business. This includes, but is not limited to:
- market garden
- viticulture (cultivation of grapes)
As a farming business you must:
- have a significant and substantial commercial purpose
- be making a profit or have a reasonable prospect of making a profit from your farming activities (this is in accordance with the requirements set out in Section 2 of the Valuation of Land Act 1960).
How to Apply?
- Complete the Application for a Farm Rate (274KB) form
- Email your completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will assess your application (please note assessment times may vary depending on your application)
- An inspection may be conducted (we will contact you to arrange a suitable time)
- If approved you will receive a confirmation and your Farm Rate Concession will be applied to your Rates
Frankston City Council
Customer Service Team
30 Davey Street
P. 1300 322 322
PDF Files Disclaimer
Adobe Acrobat is used to view Portable Document Files (PDF). Download the latest version of Adobe Reader from the Adobe website (the Adobe website opens in a new window).
All PDF files on this website open in a new window. If you cannot access a PDF document on this page, contact Frankston Council on 1300 322 322 for more details, or for a hard copy of the document.