Stage 4 Restrictions

On Sunday 2 August 2020 the Victorian Government announced stage 4 'stay at home' restrictions for metropolitan Melbourne (including Frankston City) starting from 6pm Sunday 2 August 2020 until at least Sunday 13 September. 

Stage 4 restrictions from 6pm Sunday 2 August 2020:

  • A curfew will apply from 8pm to 5am each night, with exceptions for work, medical care and caregiving.
  • Exercise will be limited to a maximum of one hour per day and no more than five kilometres from your home. Group size will be limited to a maximum of two whether you live with them or not.
  • Shopping will be limited to one person per household per day.and withing five-kilometres from your residence, unless there the closest supermarket is beyond five kilometres.
  • From Thursday 6 August, regional Victoria will return to stage three 'stay at home' restrictions, while Mitchell Shire will remain on stage three restrictions.
  • Please visit the Department of Health and Human Services for all up-to-date information.

View the Stage 4 restrictions overview of impacted Council services (595KB)

Current ongoing restrictions:

There are four reasons that you can leave home:

  1. Shopping for food or other essential items
  2. To provide care giving, for compassionate reasons or to seek medical treatment
  3. For exercise (outdoor exercise only, with only one other person)
  4. Work or study, if you cannot work or study from home
  • You cannot have visitors to your home except for caregiving or compassionate reasons or receiving services.
  • You cannot visit friends and family outside your home, except to see your intimate partner, for shared care arrangements, for caregiving or compassionate reasons, or providing services.
  • You should only exercise with one other person (including members of same household), and within five kilometres from your home.

Face masks

  • When leaving home for one of the four reasons, people 12 years and older must wear a face covering, unless an exemption applies.
  • If you are in the car alone or with someone from your household, you do not need to wear a face covering.  You should put your face covering on before you leave your car.  If you are driving your car for work, such as deliveries, or with people from outside your household then you are required to wear a face covering.
  • If you are doing strenuous physical exercise you do not need to wear a face covering but you must carry one with you. Strenuous exercise includes activities like jogging, running or cycling but not walking.
  • Please see video below and related documents for information on how to use a face mask.

Frankston City Council is being provided with disposable and reusable masks from Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) for distribution to vulnerable members of our community.

The masks are being provided to agencies that deliver services and support vulnerable people to help slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).

Who will masks be distributed to?

Vulnerable Victorians
People over the age of 12 years who are being actively managed for the following chronic conditions:

  • Poor immunity
  • Heart disease, diabetes and stroke
  • Obesity
  • Chronic lung disease
  • Alcohol and drug dependency
  • Frailty
  • People living in public housing, in crisis accommodation, or who are homeless
  • People living in rooming houses and supported residential services
  • People living with disability
  • People with other needs including alcohol and drug issues, including those attending primary and secondary needle and syringe programs
  • People experiencing mental health
  • People experiencing family violence
  • Young people in residential facilities, and those receiving other health and human services
  • Young people with health and/or social issues that make them vulnerable
  • Young people living in mandatory facilities
  • Aboriginal people
  • Refugee and asylum seekers (including temporary visa holders).

If you would like to discuss your need for masks or you believe you meet the above criteria for free masks then contact the Community Recovery Call Centre on  1300 322 322 Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm.

Please remember Council offices are currently closed so you will need to contact by phone to discuss.

For all details on COVID-19 restrictions please visit the Department of Human Health and Services website

Council Customer Service Centres

To keep our community, and our staff safe, our face-to-face Customer Service Centres will temporarily close from Monday 27 July, in line with COVID-19 restrictions.

For further information on how our service is adapting with these closures, please click here.

The below will be updated in line with further announcements from the Victorian Government:

Gatherings of people


  • Private: no visitors.
  • Public: up to 2 people maximum, including a member of your household

Employer obligations

There are practical actions you can take to keep your staff and customers safe by implementing hygiene and physical distancing measures.

General measures

  • If your staff can work from home, they must work from home.
  • If your employees are unwell, they must stay home.
  • Ensure employees with symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) get tested and stay at home until they receive the results ( )
  • Plan contingencies for a potential increase of staff absences because people are self-isolating, self-quarantining or staying home because they are unwell to help slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).
  • Develop an infection control policy and plan for what to do if staff arrive unwell at work (e.g. identify an isolation room or separate area).
  • Display coronavirus (COVID-19) education materials, these can be downloaded and printed from the Resources section on this page.
  • Minimise staff movements between areas and cross-over between shifts.
  • Provide adequate facilities or products (such as hand sanitiser, where available) to allow employees and others who enter the workplace to maintain good hygiene practices.
  • Provide appropriate personal protective equipment, including information or training on why the equipment is necessary and how to safely use it. 
  • Consult with Health and Safety Representatives (HSRs), employees and contractors about the actions you are taking to control risks associated with coronavirus (COVID-19).
  • Socialising among workers has been responsible for some transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19). This includes carpooling, huddling together at meal breaks or smoking in groups without physical distancing, and sharing items such as cigarette lighters and cutlery.
  • Workers should physical distance by keeping 1.5 metres apart from their work colleagues at all times and avoid sharing items such as phones, desks, offices, or other work tools and equipment.
  • From 11:59pm on 2 August, the use of face coverings is mandatory throughout Victoria. Persons must wear a face covering whenever they leave home, including at work unless they have a lawful excuse for not doing so.
  • Employers should ensure employees wear a face covering while at work in both metropolitan and regional Victoria, unless a lawful exception applies.
  • From 6pm on 2 August, stage 4 restrictions are in place across metropolitan Melbourne.
  • From 11:59pm on 5 August, stage 3 restrictions apply throughout regional Victoria.

For information on Coronavirus, refer to:



  • Remote learning state-wide, including year 11 and 12s, except for vulnerable children and children of permitted workers
  • Specialist schools open for vulnerable children and children of permitted workers. (from Wednesday 5 August)
  • Childcare and kinder: closed, except for vulnerable children and children of permitted workers. (from 11.59pm Wednesday 5 August)
  • Higher education and TAFE: remote learning and training only.

Sporting activities


  • Community sport: closed
  • Indoor sport and recreation: closed.
  • Outdoor sport: only allowed to exercise with one other person or a household member.
  • Recreational activities such as fishing, golf, boating, tennis, surfing and riving range shooting are not allowed
  • Outdoor sporting facilities: closed
  • Swimming pools: closed.
  • Playcentres: closed.
  • Playgrounds: closed.

Shopping, retail and personal services

No change

  • Restaurants and cafes: take away and delivery only.
  • Pubs, bars, clubs, nightclubs: closed, bottle shop and take away only.
  • Food courts: closed.
  • Beauty and personal care services: closed, apart from hairdressers.
  • Saunas and bathhouses: closed.
  • Auction houses: operate remotely.
  • Real estate auctions and inspections: operate remotely, and inspections by appointment.
  • Markets stalls: stalls can operate for provision of take away food and drink only.
  • Markets and shopping centres: open, subject to density quotient, but people can only visit for necessary goods and services.


No change

  • Libraries and community venues: only to host an essential public support service, or a wedding or funeral.
  • Galleries, museums, zoos: closed.
  • Outdoor amusement parks and arcades: closed.
  • Indoor cinemas: closed.
  • Drive-in cinemas: closed.
  • Concert venues, theatres, auditoriums: closed.
  • Arenas and stadiums: closed.
  • Casinos and gaming: closed.
  • Brothels, strip clubs and sex on premise venues: closed.



  • Religious ceremonies and private worship: broadcast only, limit of five people.
  • Weddings: Will not be permitted from 11.59pm Wednesday 5 August
  • Funerals: up to 10 people, plus those conducting the funeral.

Attending a wedding or funeral is a permitted reason to leave home



  • Travel in a vehicle with a person outside your home not permitted, with some exceptions.
  • Travel within Victoria outside Metropolitan Melbourne: allowed for work, education (if necessary) and care/compassionate purposes only.
  • Holiday accommodation and camping: closed except for residents, emergency accommodation, or work purposes.
  • Second place of residence - You cannot visit second place of residence with limited exceptions (e.g. emergency or maintenance; shared custody; to stay with intimate partner who does not live with you)


For more information about Council operated facilities and public spaces please click here.

Back to top