The show must go on as Frankston Arts Centre reopens
Published on 23 June 2021
The much loved cultural heart of Frankston City – the Frankston Arts Centre – is back open following the circuit breaker lockdown and excitedly looking forward to welcoming back patrons in line with COVID-safe practices.
North East Ward Cr Suzette Tayler said the wellbeing and safety of audiences, performers, crew and staff is critical so that all can enjoy the arts, entertainment and events together.
Cr Tayler said: “Patrons will be asked to comply with a number of guidelines to ensure COVID-19 best practice guidelines are met. Prior to entering Frankston Arts Centre for an event, patrons will need to QR code and show the front of house staff that they have done so.
“Masks are mandatory and there will be no food or drink while seated in the theatre enabling front of house to better monitor this situation,” Cr Tayler said.
Cr Tayler added that Frankston Arts Centre is now back into delivering high quality arts and entertainment kicking off with the children’s school holiday program Hot Arts, where creations are made using recycled products and imagination.
“When the circuit breaker lockdown was announced at the end May, Frankston Arts Centre worked with promoters and performing arts companies to find new dates where possible and communicated with audiences via phone, text and email about updates to their events.
“Peninsula Grammar, who had already bumped into the theatre and completed their technical rehearsals, had to make the heart-breaking decision to cancel their season of Mamma Mia as no new dates were suitable.
“They did however manage to quickly adapt and with the help of Frankston Arts Centre staff, put on an impromptu performance to an invited audience the afternoon before lockdown,” Cr Tayler said.
Council Manager Arts and Culture, Andrew Moon, said: “If there is a silver lining to this lockdown it is that we have done this before and can quickly assess, communicate and reschedule.
“Each lockdown has significant impact on the industry, financially and emotionally, however we also know that our performers, event organisers and audiences miss the theatre as much as we do. We are confident they will once again return with enthusiasm,” Mr Moon said.
Mr Moon said unfortunately a few shows had to be cancelled and Box Office staff worked tirelessly to refund patrons. Other shows have been rescheduled while negotiations are underway to find new dates for other productions.
Mr Moon said: “The HATCH Workshop Series for Artists continues with Writing Life, Writing Self on Thursday 22 July as emerging and established makers learn about finding an authentic voice to tell personal stories.
“The magician Cosentino returns on Saturday 10 July with his Deception Tour which features magic, illusion and escape,” Mr Moon said.
For more information, please visit www.thefac.com.au or phone 9784 1060.