Frankston City Council with VicHealth encourages your Primary School to get involved with the Walk to School 2019!
What is Walk to School?
Every October, Walk to School encourages Victorian primary school kids to walk, roll, ride or scoot to and from school. It’s a great way to help students learn healthy habits and achieve the recommended 60 minutes of physical activity, every day.
Along with the health benefits, active travel options to and from school reduces traffic congestion, saves on parking and helps the environment. So it’s great for the entire school community.
By participating, your school will have a chance to win great regional prizes! Plus, you’ll receive a suite of free materials, which includes posters, classroom calendars, stickers and certificates to celebrate your students’ achievements.
Handy Hints and Tips
Before you start walking/riding
- Get your walking shoes ready to go and test them out beforehand. Have a practice to make sure that your backpack is comfy and your shoes are ok to walk in.
- Work out your route and how long it might take in advance, so you can get to class before the bell.
- Check if any of your friends of neighbours are walking to school so that you can buddy up.
- If you are planning on riding to school, make sure your tyres are pumped up, and that you have a way of securing your bike or scooter.
- Be sure to check out the weather forecast the night before so you can pack a raincoat or sun hat.
- Remember to be safe around roads and don’t run near cars.
- Check out where it is safe to cross the road and where the nearest crossings are.
- Take plenty of water to keep you hydrated.
- Want some tips about how to help your kids get around safely on their own? Download this hand guide from VicHealth here.
The Fun Stuff
Win amazing prizes – Frankston City Council will be running several competitions – get involved to be in the running for some amazing prizes! Also make sure to check out VicHealth's competitions for your school to be in the running to have an AFL or AFLW player run a footy clinic at your school. Details here.
Prizes up for grabs include:
- A skateboarding clinic from YMCA Skate park
- Infrastructure for your school (Examples could be bike racks or footpath improvement)
- A round of golf
- A football clinic and junior memberships from Frankston Football club
- A group fitness class by a kids fit instructor from PARC
- Bike safety training for a teacher
- And more!! See the attached document for details on competitions, prizes and how to enter.
Hold an event – Get your whole school involved and excited by running a launch event to kick off Walk to School in October such as a healthy breakfast or lunchtime event.
Get involved on the socials – Frankston City Council will be promoting Walk to School – get involved by sharing your Walk to School efforts and activities and tagging in #frankstonwalkstoschool
Schools currently signed up for Walk to School 2019
- Frankston Heights Primary School
- Naranga School
- Frankston Special Developmental School
- Ballam Park Primary School
- Kingsley Park Primary School
- Mahogany Rise Primary School
- St. Anne’s Catholic Parish Primary School
- St Augustine’s School
- Skye Primary School
- Karingal Heights Primary School
- Frankston Primary School
- Overport Primary School
Check out the amazing work Kingsley Park Primary students are doing to engage their school community.
Walk to School 2019 from KingsleyParkPS on Vimeo.
Would you like more information or additional ideas?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Generous Sponsors