Object or support a planning permit application

The way land is used can sometimes effect nearby residents and the wider community.  Whilst Planning assessment guidelines provide Council with a basis to assess whether any effects are reasonable in context, for many* planning permit application types public notice is given by mail, a sign on site or in a newspaper.  This process enables people to review the proposal and consider whether they believe that they will be effected by it.  People who consider that they may be effected by the proposal for which notice is given may lodge an objection (or supporting comment) with Council before the date that a decision is made.

Should I support or object? – Council recommends that you review the plans and documents for the application (link to ‘view current advertised applications) and consider whether what is proposed may have an effect you.

Why should I comment? - It is a good idea to have a look at the proposal to assess whether it may have an affect on the enjoyment of your property. Think about how the proposed changes will affect you personally.

Please note:

  • *Certain types of applications are exempt from public notice and objections and appeal rights to VCAT, depending on the planning controls that apply to a particular site.
  • Section 57(5) of the Act requires that objections or submissions are made available for any person to inspect free of charge until the end of the period during which an application for review can be made to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, or an application for review is determined or withdrawn. Copies of objections or submissions may also be provided.
  • Personal information will only be used and disclosed as authorised by law. For further details about how Council handles personal information, or to request access to your information, see Council’s privacy policy at www.frankston.vic.gov.au or contact Council’s Privacy Officer on 1300 322 322.

How to respond to an Application?


If you are happy with the proposal, you do not need to take any action. However, you can make a submission to Council in support of the application if you wish.

Lodging online via:

Submit support or objection


Write a letter, or email which includes your name and contact details, the relevant planning application number, and address of the property to which the application relates, and why you support the proposal.


If you have a reasonable concern about the proposal and wish to object, you may lodge an objection with Council in writing.

Objections can be lodged with Council any time up to when it makes a decision.  The earliest time at which Council may decide on the application is listed on the public notice of the application.  Council recommends that any objections are provided as soon as possible to ensure that Council is able to consider them as part of its assessment process.

To lodge an objection you need to either:

Lodging online via:

Submit support or objection


Petitions and objections with multiple signatories are recognised as one objection.

Only the first signatory will be registered as an objector and provided with correspondence concerning the application.


  • Write a letter, or email which includes your name and contact details, the relevant planning application number and address of the property to which the application relates, and the reasons for your objection.

You may also include suggestions for changes, which could address your concerns. It is important to make sure that your objection specifically addresses the proposal and describes how you will be affected.

Submitting your completed ‘Objection to Planning Permit Application Form’ or letter to:

What happens after I lodge a submission or objection?

Once you lodge a submission or objection, Council will send you an acknowledgment that we received it.

Council will take all valid objections and submissions into consideration before making a decision. For some applications, Council may invite people who lodge an objection to a Residents Discussion Meeting to discuss your concerns and any opportunities to address them in changes to the application, directly with the applicant.

If you object to an application for which notice is given and/or appeal rights to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal are available, and Council decides to issue a planning permit, you will receive a decision notice (Notice of Decision to Grant a Permit). If you wish to contest Council’s decision, you will have 28 days to lodge an application for review with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). If no application for review is made to VCAT, Council is required to issue the planning permit. 

Contact Us

Frankston City Council
30 Davey Street
Frankston 3199
P. 1300 322 322
E. info@frankston.vic.gov.au

PDF Files Disclaimer

Get Adobe ReaderAdobe Acrobat is used to view Portable Document Files (PDF). Download the latest version of Adobe Reader from the Adobe website (the Adobe website opens in a new window).

All PDF files on this website open in a new window. If you cannot access a PDF document on this page, contact Frankston Council on 1300 322 322 for more details, or for a hard copy of the document.



Back to top