Frequently Asked Questions

The Strategic Planning team is responsible for administering, reviewing and amending the Frankston Planning Scheme as well as developing land use strategies and polices. These aim to conserve, protect and enhance the natural and built environment for our community and future generations.

What is a Planning Scheme?

The Frankston Planning Scheme is a legal document that contains all the policies and provisions that control land use and development in the municipality.

Planning schemes have three main parts:

  • maps showing how land is affected by zones and overlays
  • Ordinance setting out the written requirements of a planning scheme
  • Incorporated documents.

Every council in Victoria has its own planning scheme. A planning scheme is prepared by a council or the Minister for Planning and approved by the Planning Minister. The local council is responsible for administering its own planning scheme to ensure land is used and developed in a way that delivers a net community benefit.

What are zones and overlays?

Zones are applied to ensure land is assigned for particular use. This may include:

  • residential
  • industrial
  • commercial.

The zone description in the Frankston Planning Scheme also contains information relating to land uses, subdivision of land, construction of new buildings and other changes to the land.

The planning scheme map may show that a piece of land has an overlay, as well as a zone affecting it.

An overlay applies another layer of planning controls to a parcel of land.

Not all land has an overlay and some land may be affected by more than one overlay.

If an overlay applies, the land will have some special feature of interest, such as a bushfire risk, heritage building, significant vegetation or flood risk. The overlay information will indicate if a planning permit is required for the construction of a building or for other changes to the land.

What is a schedule to a zone or overlay?

A schedule can be added to a zone or overlay. The schedule contains additional controls on land use (zone) or development (overlay) that apply only to a specific area inside the local government area. For example, a residential zone can have a schedule that applies height restrictions in certain areas.

What is a structure plan?

A structure plan provides directions for future growth, development and change to a designated area over a 15 to 20 year period.

A structure plan process identifies:

  • current issues
  • constraints
  • opportunities
  • community aspirations
  • specific requirements.

These plans establish a vision for the relevant localities. A plan identifies objectives and strategies to support sustainable growth, while balancing the needs of both existing and future residents.

A structure plan can provide appropriate planning controls to guide land use and development.

What is a Design and Development Overlay (DDO)?

A DDO is a planning overlay that controls the design and built form of new development. The schedule to the overlay can require a planning permit to develop land that does not address any number of built-form matters. The schedule can also include mandatory controls such as building heights and numbers of dwellings.

Can I re-zone my land?

If you wish to change the zone to your land, you need to request a rezoning from Council.

Rezoning must follow a particular process and has to be approved by the Minister for Planning. Rezoning is treated as an amendment to the Frankston Planning Scheme.

Zones that apply to land are based on assessments that include consideration of:

  • the surrounding land use
  • patterns of development
  • environmental characteristics.

If you wish to rezone land, you will need to apply for an amendment to the Frankston Planning Scheme and justify why the change should be made.

Visit our Planning Scheme amendment process page to find out more.