Apply for a Vehicle Crossing Permit

What is a Vehicle Crossing?

A ‘Vehicle Crossing’ is the Council approved access point into a property from the property boundary to the street. 

Each property is permitted to have one (1) access point into their property, for further information please see Council Specifications for Vehicle Crossings(PDF, 61KB).

Although a Vehicle Crossing is built on the road reserve, it is the responsibility of the property owner to provide a properly constructed crossing that allows vehicle access to the property from the road. 

The property owner is responsible for the construction, maintenance and cost of a Vehicle Crossing.


Do I need a Vehicle Crossing Permit?

If you are planning to remove, change or upgrade an existing crossing or to construct a new Vehicle Crossing you will need to apply for and obtain a Vehicle Crossing Permit from Council. 

A permit must be obtained in order to minimise damage to Council assets, to ensure the works comply with construction standards and to protect the safety of the public   .

You must contact Dial Before You Dig for information on the location of underground infrastructure.

It is also important to be aware that if you are working on a Vic Roads owned road you will need to contact Vic Roads to obtain approval for your proposed works. You will need to provide a copy of your Vic Roads approval to Council as part of your application. 

Works must not commence (including excavation, boxing and reinforcement) until your permit has been issued. Once issued your permit is valid for 12 months. 

Please note that failure to obtain a permit from Council may result in an infringement notice. 

How much does it cost to apply for a Vehicle Crossing Permit?

The total cost of a Vehicle Crossing Permit is $164.40 which is non refundable.

How do I apply?

Before applying please make sure you have:

To submit your application for a Vehicle Crossing Permit online, you will need to make sure you have the following information ready:

  1. The address where the crossing is located.
  2. Your Dial Before You Dig information check for any underground services.
  3. Your contact details.
  4. Date of work commencement.  
  5. A detailed site plan of the proposed works, which includes any impacted service locations (must be uploaded as part of your application).
  6. A copy of your Vic Roads approval (if applicable).  
  7. Your credit card details to pay the permit fee of $164.40 (non-refundable).

Please note Frankston City Council do not issue Vehicle Crossing permits within Sandhurst. Please contact Sandhurst Club.

Apply for a Vehicle Crossing Permit

If you are not able to apply online, download and complete the Application for a Vehicle Crossing Permit(PDF, 702KB) and submit it to Council via:

  • Email to
  • Post to Frankston City Council, PO Box 490, Frankston VIC 3199
  • In person at one of our customer service centres

What happens after I apply and pay for my Vehicle Crossing Permit? 

  1. Once we receive your application and payment, we will process your permit within 5 working days.
  2. Once your application is approved Council will let you know which crossing type to construct and refer to the relevant specifications.
  3. When you receive your permit, you can instruct your concreter to “box up” the crossing. Do not pour the concrete.
  4. You will need to request a pre-pour inspection – One (1) business day before you are ready to pour the concrete you must call Council on 1300 322 322 and request a pre-pour inspection (the site must be fully prepared for a pre-pour inspection to be approved).
  5. The council Officer will discuss the outcome of the inspection on site with the concreter, or they may call you after the inspection to discuss the outcome.
  6. Once the pre-pour inspection is approved the concrete can be poured.
  7. A Council Officer will conduct a final inspection to ensure works are completed to a satisfactory standard. 

Need more information?

For more information about Vehicle Crossings:

  • Refer to the Council Specifications for Vehicle Crossings. 
  • Call Council on 1300 322 322 and ask to speak to our helpful Engineering Services Staff