Apply for a Drainage Tapping Permit

What is Drainage Tapping?

Drainage Tapping is the connection of a new or alternative drainage pipe or pit to an existing Council drain.  

What is a Drainage Tapping Permit? 

A Drainage Tapping Permit is required whenever there is a proposed new or alternative connection to Frankston City Council drainage assets. 

The property owner is required to dispose of stormwater from all structures and hard surfaces and convey it to the Council nominated Stormwater Point of Discharge. 

You can request for the location of yourStormwater Point of Discharge before applying for a Drainage Tapping Permit. 

Do I need a Drainage Tapping Permit? 

If you're undertaking works to connect your storm water to an existing Council asset (pit, pipe or street outlet)  you will need a Drainage Tapping Permit. 

Please be aware that Council will not issue a permit unless the works are carried out by a registered Plumber. 

Works must not commence until the permit has been issued. Once issued your permit is valid for 12 months. 

Please note: Failure to apply for a permit from Council may result in an infringement notice.

How much does it cost to apply for a Drainage Tapping Permit?

The total cost of a Drainage Tapping Permit is $260.00 (non refundable). 

How do I apply?

To submit your application for a Drainage Tapping Permit online, you will need to make sure you have the following information ready:

  1. The address of the property.
  2. Type of property (eg.single dwelling, multi dwelling, unit etc).
  3. A detailed site plan while includes your internal stormwater network and connection to Councils drainage asset.
  4. Estimated date of completion.
  5. Your credit card details to pay the permit fee of $260.00 (non-refundable).

Apply for a Drainage Tapping Permit 

If you are not able to apply online, download and complete the Application for Drainage Tapping(PDF, 689KB) and submit it to Council via:

  • Email to
  • Post to Frankston City Council, PO Box 490, Frankston VIC 3199
  • In person at one of our customer service centres

What happens after I apply and pay for my Drainage Tapping Permit? 

  1. Once we receive your application and payment, we will process your permit within 5 working days.
  2. When you receive your permit, you may commence works.
  3. Once you have connected into the Council Drainage Network you must take a photo and email it to to ensure it has been connected correctly.
  4. Council will conduct an inspection to ensure the connection has been done correctly.
  5. Council will contact you if something needs to be rectified.

Need more information?

For more information about Drainage Tapping: