Request a planning enforcement investigation

Some landowners do not get Council approval for a particular use or development on a property, as required under the Frankston Planning Scheme.

To prevent negative effects on our community, we investigate reported breaches of the Frankston Planning Scheme, planning permit conditions, the Planning and Environment Act, and Section 173 agreements.

Examples of issues that we can investigate include:

  • Non-compliance with approved planning permits and plans
  • Vegetation removal
  • Home occupation
  • Use and development of land
  • Satellite dish installation
  • Signage

Report a possible planning breach

If you believe a planning breach has occurred, you should report it to us in writing and include:

  • Your name, address and contact phone number
  • The address where the activity or works are occurring
  • A description of the activity/works that are being carried out

Send your written complaint to:

Planning Enforcement
Frankston City Council
PO Box 490
Frankston VIC 3199

Planning enforcement process

We aim to obtain compliance rather than prosecute offenders, but punishment for some types of offences may be necessary as a deterrent.

Our Planning Investigations Officers may take a number of enforcement actions to ensure compliance, depending on the nature and seriousness of the offence. These may include:

  • Negotiate a resolution
  • Issue an official warning
  • Serve a planning infringement notice (on-the-spot fine) - usually for less serious breaches or matters
  • Seek prosecution of the offence in the Magistrate's Court (maximum fine $169,008.00) and payment of Council's legal costs
  • Apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for an enforcement order