Owner-Builder for Domestic Works

If you wish to be an Owner-Builder for domestic works exceeding $16,000 (including labour and materials quoted in a contract), regardless of whether you are doing the works without labour, you are required to obtain an Owner-Builder Consent Certificate from the Victorian Building Authority (formerly Building Commission). Complete the Owner-Building Application Checklist.

In addition to obtaining the above Consent, you are required to complete an Owner-Builder Acknowledgement Form regardless of cost of works.

Remember to contact an Insurer to arrange for appropriate Construction Insurance prior to works commencing and to protect people working onsite.

If you elect to engage a registered Builder to carry out the works instead, then you must sign a contract and the Builder will arrange to present a copy of a Domestic Building Warranty Insurance specific for your property and works to you and to Council's Building Department to enable the process of the Building Permit.