Building Permits Introduction

Building Permits

Council is responsible for administering and enforcing the Building Act 1993 and the Building Regulations 2018 within the municipal district.

A Building Permit is generally required for all building works and changes to the use of a building (e.g. dwelling to a boarding house, shop to an office etc)

  • New Buildings
  • Building/structure
  • Demolition
  • Additions
  • Dwelling alterations
  • Garages
  • Carports
  • Verandas
  • Pergolas
  • Fences
  • Swimming pools
  • Safety barriers surrounding a spa
  • Retaining walls
  • Rooming houses
  • Boarding houses
  • Dependent persons unit (granny flat)
  • Guest houses
  • Student accommodation
  • Altering any Essential Safety Measure or Fire Safety Measure

Easy access to information on building related topics is available via the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) website.  

The VBA regulates building practitioners in Victoria. To determine when a building permit is required please refer to the Victorian Building Authority Practice Note 2016 - 32.

Always check if a permit is required prior to commencing your construction project.

In some situations a Planning Permit may also be required. Planning is concerned with the way the land will be used or developed. Refer to the Planning section of this website or call 1300 322 322.

You may need both a Planning and Building permit depending on your proposed work.

The planning permit is required prior to the building permit.

Once you have established that your project requires a Building Permit you will need to appoint a Building Surveyor. This can be either a Private Building Surveyor or the Municipal Building Surveyor at Council.

Building Surveyors are trained professionals who issue building permits and are responsible for checking that your building documentation and work complies with the building regulations and relevant standards.

The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) website has a list of Building Surveyors in Victoria.

Please note: The permit application fee is non-refundable once an application has been lodged.

Variation to a Current Building Permit that has been issued

Where you propose to alter, vary or amend an existing Building Permit, you are required to complete a Variation Application Form – Building Permit located under Forms and Fact Sheets and submit the documentation being varied.

Architectural/Draftspersons Plans

You have several options in preparation of draftsperson/architectural plans to submit for a Building Permit that include:

  • Engaging a qualified draftsperson, architect currently registered with the Building Commission (Victorian Building Authority) as a Practitioner DP-AD or the Australian Institute of Architects
  • Engaging a registered Builder to prepare the plans
  • If you are an Owner you may prepare the plans if presented in a professional and equivalent standard.  Example Plans are available to assist you in the related documents


For more information about Modifications please refer to the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) website.

Planning Permits

Planning Permits are different from a Building Permit in that it does not assess the building/structures structural design/adequacy, health, amenity, any fire rating or other applicable provisions of the Building Code of Australia.  A Building Permit is still required regardless of whether a Planning Permit has been obtained.