Maternal and Child Health
Frankston City's Maternal and Child Health Service promotes the health and wellbeing of children from birth to 6 years of age.
Maternal and Child Health Contacts
Council offers young families the convenience of one contact point to make or change appointments with their Maternal and Child Health (MCH) centre. This central booking phone number is: 9784 1756 and is available Monday through to Friday from 9am – 3pm.
A State Government 24 hour MCH line is also available on 132 229 staffed by qualified nurses who can provide over-the-phone information, advice and referrals.
In an emergency, phone 000.
Find your closest Maternal and Child Health Centre
There are 14 Maternal and Child Health centres within Frankston City:
You do not have to attend the Centre you are allocated to. You can contact your preferred centre to discuss transferring.
Breastfeeding support drop-in sessions
*Sessions start from Thursday 25 July 2019
Thursdays, 1–3.30pm, Botany Park Maternal Child Health Centre, 53 Lyrebird Drive, Carrum Downs
Phone: 9784 1756
FREE, no booking required
We encourage you to come at the start of the session so your baby can have the opportunity to have their feeding observed by a Maternal and Child Health Nurse who will listen to your story, offer tips and advice, and work with you to help achieve your feeding goals.
What to bring:
- A drink such as water
- Nappies, wipes, change of clothes and bib for baby
- Any equipment you are using to feed your baby at home
- Your child’s Health Record book (green book)
What to expect:
You may be here for five minutes or the whole session depending on how willing your baby is to feed and how many attend.
This is a drop in service so come and relax in a friendly supportive environment where mums, bubs and Maternal and Child Health Nurses work together to find the best fit for each family.
- For all appointments and information, phone the central booking line on 9784 1756.
- The central booking line is available Monday to Friday, 9am - 3pm.
Call the central booking line to make your child's 8 month Key Age and Stage (KAS) appointment with your Maternal Child Health Nurse.
MCH App Available
Finding reliable information between your Maternal and Child Health (MCH) visits can be challenging for families. The Victorian Government’s new MCH App combines trustworthy information and time-saving features, into one simple digital tool.
- ‘Nora’, the app’s digital assistant who can answer most common child health queries
- A library of information on popular health and development topics
- Click-to-call contacts
- Prompts for upcoming MCH consultations
- Regular updates and messages
This free app can be personalised and is available for all Apple and Android smartphones. Download from your App Store or visit the website below:
Maternal and Child Health Framework
The hospital will send our Administration team your baby's birth notice and one of our Maternal and Child Health Nurses will contact you to arrange a Home Visit.
There are 10 Key Ages and Stages which consist of:
- Home Visit
- 2 weeks
- 4 weeks
- 8 weeks
- 4 months
- 8 months
- 1 year
- 18 months
- 2 years
- 3 1/2 years
If you feel you need further support you are welcome to contact you’re the Central Bookings line on 9784 1756. Alternatively, a 24 hour MCH line is available on 132 229. In an emergency, phone 000.
What to bring?
- A change of clothes for the child
- A comfort rug
- Plastic bag for dirty nappy
- Child Health Record book
Please note: Council has a policy of not allowing disposable nappies to be disposed of at the centre.
- Centre consultations
- Growth and development assessment
- Home visiting
- Lactation consultancy
- Group programs
- Guidance and advice on nutrition and parenting
- Information on local community resources, services and agencies
- New Parent groups
- Child and women's health issues
- Vision screening
- Referrals for hearing tests are available
- Referral to appropriate professionals
- Behaviour and development
- Child and family nutrition and dental health
- Home safety and accident prevention
Saturday morning MCH sessions are available every alternate Saturday from 9am-12pm.
Terry White Chemmart Frankston MCH Service
89-97 Young Street, Frankston.
PDF Files Disclaimer
Adobe Acrobat is used to view Portable Document Files (PDF). Download the latest version of Adobe Reader from the Adobe website (the Adobe website opens in a new window).
All PDF files on this website open in a new window. If you cannot access a PDF document on this page, contact Frankston Council on 1300 322 322 for more details, or for a hard copy of the document.