Senior Leisure Activities
Frankston Seniors Festival 2018
This month long festival is the biggest event in our calendar year and a great time to discover the welcoming community around you.
The activities on offer are either free or low cost, so take this opportunity to get out and about. There is something for everyone, so look out for the Festival booklet.
Frankston Seniors Festival is a great time to get involved in that new activity you have always wanted to try. Why not grab yourself a copy of the Frankston Seniors Festival 2018 booklet and fill up your calendar in October!
Frankston Seniors Festival Booklet
Frankston Seniors Festival 2018 booklets can be found at various locations throughout the city including:
- Frankston Civic Centre
- Frankston City Libraries
- Frankston Arts Centre
- Frankston Visitor Information Centre
- Council Customer Service Centres
- Bayside Shopping Centre
- Karingal Hub Shopping Centre
- Doctor’s Surgeries
- Chemists and many other locations
Please feel free to print a copy of the booklet from this webpage.
To receive a copy of the booklet in the post, please call Frankston City Council (subject to availability).
Free Public Transport throughout Victoria from 7 – 14 October
Don’t forget there is FREE public transport throughout Victoria from the 7 -14 October, including V/Line regional trains and buses.
As a Victorian Seniors card holder, you can get out and explore metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria with free travel from Sunday 7 October to Sunday 14 October.
How to travel
Remember to always carry your Seniors Myki and Victorian Seniors Card with you on public transport. Touch on and off as usual, you won’t be charged. For regional services that don’t use Myki, show your Victorian Seniors Card to the conductor or bus driver.
Where you can go
You’ll be able to travel for free on all public transport in Victoria, including:
We recommend travelling during off-peak hours (weekdays between 9am and 4pm, or after 6pm, and on weekends). You’ll be more likely to find a seat.
Travelling in Regional Victoria
- Seats can fill quickly – book early. Bookings open 10am Tuesday 4 October. Please call 1800 800 007
- You can only travel free in economy class and need to reserve a seat on V/Line trains and coaches.
- You can book a return journey for up to four Victorian Seniors Card holders.
- If you’re planning to travel in a group of 12 or more, call our Group Travel Coordinator to check if seats are available - 9619 2338 from 10am, Tuesday 4 September.
- If you make a booking and aren’t able to travel, let us know. We can give your ticket to someone else.
To find out more visit ptv.vic.gov.au or call 1800 800 007
Positive Ageing Together (PAT) Newsletter
The Positive Ageing Together newsletter has been developed to provide residents over 55 years of age with information on recreational and social activities available within the municipality.
Register for the Newsletter
- Are you interested in finding out about recreational and social opportunities within the Frankston municipality?
- Would you like information on a range of support services to assist you and those you care for?
- Would you like to receive a newsletter with the specific purpose of keeping people over the age of 55 years old active and informed?
Sign up for the Positive Ageing Together (PAT) Newsletter by completing the form and we will add you to our emailing list.
There are many senior clubs and groups in Frankston City promoting health and wellbeing and offering social activities for residents over 55 years of age.
Community Connector Program for over 60's
Frankston City Council’s Community Connector program can help residents find activities within the local community that interest them and assist them with the process of joining. Community Connectors can contact activity coordinators on your behalf and they can attend a new activity or group with you until you settle in and feel comfortable to attend on your own.
Who is this for?
Anyone who is over the age of 60 or caring for someone over the age of 60 who is interested in finding out what activities are available in their community.
Some of the activities and groups that a Community Connector can help you become involved with can include:
- Exercise classes
- Computer classes
- Friendship groups
- Craft Groups
- Seniors Clubs
- And much, more
Please contact Council’s Positive Ageing Team on 9784 1046.
Bowel Cancer Test for over 50's
- Do you know that bowel cancer is the second largest cancer killer in Australia today?
- Do you know Frankston has one of the lowest screening rates in the state?
- Do you know that most bowel cancer can be prevented with early detection?
The moral of the story is get tested!
Cancer Council Victoria and Frankston City Council have come together to encourage senior residents of Frankston to complete the test. Please encourage anyone you know between the ages of 50 and 74 to ring the Cancer Council on 13 11 20 and request a free kit in the mail.
Positive Ageing and Disability Services
P. 9784 1946
Frankston Positively Ageing Reference Group
The Frankston Ageing Positively Reference Group helps in future planning, development and provision of Council activities and services. The group comprises representatives of various organisations active in the community and interested individuals.
The group meets on a regular basis to discuss seniors issues in the community and to advise on methods of encouraging community interest and knowledge of issues facing older people.
For further information contact
Positive Ageing and Disability Services
P. 1300 322 322
PDF Files Disclaimer
Adobe Acrobat is used to view Portable Document Files (PDF). Download the latest version of Adobe Reader from the Adobe website (the Adobe website opens in a new window).
All PDF files on this website open in a new window. If you cannot access a PDF document on this page, contact Frankston Council on 1300 322 322 for more details, or for a hard copy of the document.