Parking Infringements

Parking Infringements are penalties for parking offences. Council has a statutory and community obligation to enforce certain legislation within the municipality, which may result in an infringement notice being issued to an alleged offender for breaches against legislation.

If you receive an infringement notice, you have three options:

Option 1 - Paying an Infringement Notice

Payment must be made before the expiry date on the infringement notice or additional costs will be incurred. If you have received a penalty reminder notice, (including additional costs) payment must be made before the expiry date on the penalty reminder notice or further legal action will be taken.

How To Pay Infringement Notices

No Credit Card payments accepted within 2 business days of infringement being issued.

Pay Online

Pay parking infringement online here

By Phone

Infringement Notices both "Normal" and "Overdue" can be paid with Visa or MasterCard by phoning 1300 322 322 during business hours.

By Mail

Please make your cheque or money order payable to Frankston City Council, please indicate your Infringement Number and post to:

  • Frankston City Council
    PO Box 490
    Frankston  VIC  3199.

In Person Frankston City Council Customer Service Centres

If the amount of the infringement is paid by the Due Date, the matter will not be brought before the Court, as the case requires, unless the Infringement Notice is withdrawn before the Due Date.

Option 2 - Appealing an Infringement Notice

A person who receives a parking infringement notice may request a review of that notice to Council within 21 days of it being issued.

A review of an infringement notice may be requested if:

  • you are of the belief that the parking infringement notice is incorrect, or
  • there are circumstances Council should consider

When Council may withdraw a Parking Infringement Notice

Council may withdraw a parking Infringement Notice if:

  • your vehicle broke down
  • you were involved in a medical emergency
  • you are a new resident and you haven't received a permit yet

To consider these reasons, you must provide evidence such as:

  • letter from the hospital or your doctor if there was a medical emergency
  • towing docket or repair invoice if your vehicle broke down
  • a lease or contracts of sale if you are a new resident

Council may also need a Statutory Declaration if the circumstances are complex and your evidence does not explain everything that happened.

When Council won't withdraw a Parking Fine

Council will not withdraw a parking fine for the following reasons:

  • poor visibility due to weather
  • not noticing a sign
  • no change to put in meter/ticket machine
  • left vehicle to get coins to put in meter/ticket machine
  • reading only part of a sign
  • being unable to read the sign from the front seat of the car
  • forgetting to read the sign
  • not noticing that a sign/restriction had been changed
  • running late or being in a hurry
  • parking within 10 metres of an intersection
  • being delayed at an appointment. For example, medical appointments often run late. Remember this when you park.
  • stopping for a short time in a prohibited area (for example: stopping in a ‘no stopping’ area even if it is just to pick up or drop off passengers or goods)
  • being new to the area and unfamiliar with the restrictions (this applies regardless of whether the driver is from Victoria, interstate or overseas)
  • being unaware of the Road Rules (all licensed drivers are expected to be aware and comply with the Road Rules at all times)
  • using a parking permit in a street other than the street shown on the permit
  • not having a residential parking permit clearly visible in the vehicle when parking in a restricted resident area
  • displaying an expired residential parking permit when parking in a restricted resident area
  • non-residents parking in restricted resident’s areas.

Faulty Ticket Machines and Signage

Council may withdraw an infringement notice if there was a faulty ticket machine or poor signage, there must be record of you reporting the faulty machine to Council or provide evidence of poor signage.

Nominating Drivers who used your vehicle

Complete the Nomination Statement or Action by Court Form to nominate the driver or person in possession or control of the vehicle when the infringement occurred and forward to Council.

How to Appeal a Parking Infringement Notice


In Person or Mail

Council Review

Once your request to review has been received, your infringement notice is placed on hold while a decision is being made. Once a decision has been made, Council will write to you confirming its decision.

Under the Infringements Act 2006, Council has 90 days to make a decision based on the information provided by you. If Council rejects your appeal, you may either pay the Infringement notice or elect to have the matter heard and determined in the Magistrates' Court.

You must notify Frankston City Council in writing if you wish to refer the matter to the Magistrates' Court. If you fail to pay or respond with 28 days of the due date, Council will commence legal proceedings.

Option 3 - Elect to have the matter heard and determined in court

The person named on the infringement notice may elect to have the matter heard and determined in a Court.

IGNORING your infringement can lead to court action or result in your fine being sent to the Infringements Court which has the power to suspend driving licences until the fine is paid.

Contact Us

Frankston City Council
30 Davey Street
PO Box 490
Frankston 3199
P. 1300 322 322

Please included your mailing address with all correspondence.