Hard Waste Collection 2019-2020 Frequently Asked Questions

When is my collection?

Households will receive a brochure in their letterbox two weekends before the start of their collection week with details about items that will and will not be accepted.

Alternatively, your collection date is available in the MyAddress section of our website in the coming weeks. Simply visit frankston.vic.gov.au and search “MyAddress”.

What if I put items out early?

If you put your waste out before the dates printed on your brochure, you risk being fined for illegal dumping. Fines start at $200 and can be up to $17,000 if prosecuted in Court.

Council is strictly enforcing illegal dumping and the hard waste rules:

  • Place items out on your nature strip no earlier than the Saturday two days before your collection week starts. The total combined material must not exceed two cubic metres

  • Any excess waste or items not accepted will have to be removed by the resident

What if others in my street put out their hard waste early?

If your neighbours put their waste out early it is considered illegal dumping and they risk being fined. You can report this activity to Council on 1300 322 322.

What happens if I put out more than two cubic metres?

Anything that exceeds two cubic metres will not be collected. Residents are required to remove excess hard waste or risk being fined for illegal dumping.

Several Council officers will be patrolling in marked and unmarked vehicles, seven days and nights a week.

How will I know what two cubic metres is?

As a general rule, your total area must not exceed two metres across, one metre high and be no more than one metre deep. An example will be printed on the brochure you receive in your mailbox.

How can I make the most of my two cubic metres?

Ensure you stack items neatly and tightly. You can also take recyclable items to FRRRC at any time free-of-charge. Items accepted free at FRRRC include, scrap metal and whitegoods, e-waste and fridges, as well as other recyclables. A full list of items is available here.

A truck came but did not collect all my waste, what should I do?

Don’t panic, not all items are collected by the same truck to maximise diversion from landfill. For example, green waste and hard waste will be collected by different trucks, possibly on different days.

How do I separate my items for collection?

Place your items in five neat stacks:

  • Hard waste

  • Scrap metal and whitegoods

  • E-waste and fridges

  • Green waste

  • Mattresses - maximum of two (2) mattress/bed base can be put out in the free collection. So either 2 mattress OR 2 base OR 1 mattress and 1 base.

Am I allowed to add my excess waste to a neighbour’s pile?

No, this is strongly discouraged at this time to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. If possible, store your recyclables and take them to FRRRC to help make the most of your pile. Alternatively you can also pay to book an additional hard waste collection, view more details here

Can I take items from another person’s nature strip?

Scavenging is strongly discouraged to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and is not one of the four essential reasons to leave your home. Police are patrolling and those found scavenging risk receiving a fine for breaching social distancing laws.

What do I do if someone removes items from my nature strip without my consent?

If this occurs, try to note down as much information about the offender as possible, including a number plate, and contact Council. You can report illegal scavenging by phoning Council on 1300 322 322.

Scavengers spread my pile all over the footpath, will you tidy it for me if Im worried about the spread of COVID-19?

Residents are responsible for any hard rubbish they put onto the nature strip and ensuring that it is kept as tidy as possible, and in one place until the collection is completed. We know that residents may be feeling concerned about the spread of the virus, but these regulations are still in place and we appreciate your cooperation.

If you have concerns about virus and contaminated hard surfaces you may wish to follow the current health advice  - Clean the surface with a household disinfectant to kill the virus, clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water, avoid touching your eyes, mouth, or nose.

What do I do if I see someone dumping illegally?

Note down as much information as possible, including a number plate if possible, and contact Council. All illegal dumping reports will be investigated. You can REPORT ILLEGAL DUMPING online here or phone Council on 1300 322 322.

What are you doing to prevent the spread of COVID-19?

Our contractors WM Waste Management have made any necessary changes to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 including crews practicing safe social distancing. We are also asking our community not to scavenge or share hard waste piles at this time.

Alternative disposal methods

You can view a list of alternative disposal options on the Frankston City Council website here.

Who do I contact with further questions?

Collection contractors, WM Waste: 9721 1915

Frankston City Council: 1300 322 322

Back to top