Kerbside Food Waste Collection Service FAQs

Everything you need to know about the Kerbside Food Waste Collection Service

General service information

When does the kerbside food waste collection service start?

Tuesday 1 October 2019.

Why should I start putting my food waste in my garden waste bin?

The food waste in your garden waste bin will be turned into nourishing compost for use by Aussie farmers.

What foods waste can I put in my garden waste bin?

All foods can go in the garden waste bin.

Is it compulsory to have a garden waste bin in Frankston City?

No. Council provides an optional "user-pays" garden waste bin, collected on alternate weeks to your recycle bin.

For more information please visit the Bin Information page.

How do I order a garden waste bin? (Rental tenants and owner-occupiers)

Phone: 1300 322 322 to order a new or additional garden waste bin.

For more information please visit the Bin Information page.

Do I have to put all my food waste in my garden waste bin?

No. It is your choice whether you put your food waste in your garden waste bin or regular household garbage bin, however placing food waste in your garden waste bin diverts it away from landfill and helps Aussie farmers.


Benchtop caddy information

Where can I store my food waste scraps prior to placing them in my garden waste bin?

Households that are currently registered as having a garden waste bin, or who order a garden waste bin, can contact Council to have a complimentary sealed benchtop kitchen caddy and six month supply of compostable liners.  

Contact Council on: 1300 322 322 to find out how you can get your kitchen caddy and supply of compostable liners.

When can I get my caddy?

You can pick up your free caddy and liners from these locations:

  • Frankston Civic Centre - 30 Davey Street, Frankston (Open 8.30am - 5pm, Monday - Friday)
  • Frankston Regional Recycling and Recovery Centre - 20 Harold Road, Skye (Open seven days, 8am - 4pm)
  • Langwarrin Customer Service Centre - Shop 6, Gateway Shopping Centre, 230 Cranbourne Road, Langwarrin
  • Seaford Customer Service Centre - 1/6 Broughton Street, Seaford
  • Carrum Downs Library/Customer Service Centre - 203 Lyrebird Drive, Carrum Downs

Where can I get additional liners?

Contact Council on: 1300 322 322 for further information. 

Please be aware when purchasing through external retailers that Council only accepts 100 per cent certified compostable liners that meet Australian Standards (AS4736) and must be lime green, otherwise it will be considered contamination of the garden waste. Look for the ‘Seedling’ symbol displayed below on the product before purchasing. 

Newspaper is also an acceptable alternative. Use of compostable liners is optional, food waste can be placed in your Garden waste bin straight from the kitchen caddy. 

Plastic is the biggest risk to the long term viability of the compost market from kerbside collection. 

Plastic bags are not acceptable and residents found to be using plastic risk not having their bins collected and possible fines. 

Compostable AS4736

How often should I empty my kitchen caddy?

As you feel necessary, however we recommend every two to three days, and more frequently in the warmer months.

Can I use something else to store my food waste other than the benchtop caddy?

Yes. You can use any sealed container, for example an old ice-cream container or pot with lid.

I have a large family and one benchtop caddy is not enough. Where can I get an additional one?

Council supplies one benchtop caddy per eligible household. Additional purpose-produced kitchen caddies can be purchased from selected retail outlets.

What if I already practice composting at home?

We encourage you to continue with home composting. Our service complements home composting, as our commercial facility accepts animal bones, meat and dairy, which aren't recommended for most home composting.

What happens to the food and garden waste I put in my garden waste bin?

Food scraps and garden trimmings are turned into certified organic compost, which is available for purchase by our Aussie farmers and garden supply outlets.  

What happens to my food scraps and garden waste once my bin has been collected?

The contents of your garden waste bin is transported by truck to a composting facility in Gippsland where the material is processed into ready-to-use compost for Aussie Farmers.

How can I reduce odours caused by food waste in my garden waste bin?

Layering your food scraps among your garden trimmings will help reduce odours and residue in your bin. Lining the bottom of your garden waste bin with paper or cardboard will also stop waste sticking to the bottom of your garden waste bin. We also recommend storing your garden waste bin in a shaded area – particularly in the warmer months.

How can I reduce odours in my benchtop kitchen caddy?

Sprinkling bicarbonate of soda is a natural way to neutralise odours inside your kitchen caddy. Also ensure you replace the lid of your caddy or container between uses so to ensure any odour does not permeate into your home. 

Regular rinsing will also help to reduce odours. Freezing meat scraps and fish until your bin collection day instead of storing them in your bin is also an effective way to reduce odour. Emptying and replacing your compostable liner every 2-3 days will minimise odours. 

Can businesses have their food waste collected and composted?

No. Our kerbside food waste collection service doesn’t cater for commercial quantities of food waste and is only available to residential households with a kerbside service at this time.

How often will you collect food waste?

How often will you collect food waste?

The garden waste bin is collected every fortnight. See our rubbish and recycling calendar for bin collection days. Visit:

Can I put my dog droppings/kitty litter in the garden waste bin also?

No. These items will be treated as contaminants. These items are not able to be processed at the composting facility and must be disposed of in the regular household garbage bin.

What will happen if I contaminate my garden waste bin?

The collection contractor’s vehicles are fitted with cameras that can look at contents of each bin. If your bin has contaminants we will put a sticker on it notifying you of the issue. We understand that change can be difficult, so we will do all that we can to help you.

How do I find out more information about this service?

Subscribe to Council’s fortnightly eNews:

Visit the Bin Information page of our website:

Phone: 1300 322 322