List of local laws
Under the Local Government Act 1989 (Vic), Council has the power to create and enforce local laws.
Local laws help protect public health, safety and amenity in the municipality. They are made in consultation with the community to deal with local issues and to meet local needs.
Frankston City currently has 4 local laws.
Community Local Law 2020
The purpose of the Community Local Law 2020(PDF, 1MB) is to:
- Provide peace, order and good governance in the Frankston municipality.
- Promote a physical and social environment in which residents and visitors can enjoy a quality of life that meets the reasonable expectations of the community.
- Prevent and minimise nuisances which may negatively affect the enjoyment of life within the Frankston municipality or the health, safety and welfare of persons within the Frankston municipality.
- Prohibit, regulate and control activities which may be dangerous, unsafe or detrimental to a person’s health, amenity or the environment.
- Provide for fair access and use of Council and community assets and prescribe measures to protect those assets.
- Prescribe requirements for the administration and enforcement of the Local Law.
The Community Local Law creates offences in connection with:
- appropriate behaviour and use of roads, municipal places and public places
- the use of shopping trolleys
- the use of model aircraft and some remote control objects
- the display of property numbers
- vehicle crossings
- the release of balloons into the open air
- the condition of land and buildings
- the sale of aerosol spray containers
- asset protection
- refuse collection
- open air fires
- the consumption of liquor
- smoking in certain areas
- the maintenance of nature strips
- keeping animals.
Governance Local Law 2020
- facilitate good governance of Frankston City Council
- provide procedures to regulate the use of the Common Seal
- create offences in the event of inappropriate conduct at Council meetings and meetings of Delegated Committees
- create offences in relation to the misuse of the Common Seal or any petition or joint letter
- set penalties for breach of certain provisions.
Tree Protection Local Law 2016
The purpose of the Local Law No. 22 - Tree Protection(PDF, 2MB) is to:
- protect trees (as defined for the purpose of the local law) growing in the municipal district
- require a minimum standard of tree pruning for the protection of trees and public safety
- provide for the peace, order and good government of the municipal district
- protect and enhance the amenity and environment of the municipal district.
Short Stay Rental Accommodation Local Law 2020
The purpose of the Short Stay Rental Accommodation Local Law(PDF, 1018KB) is to:
- regulate and control the use of short stay rental accommodation within the Council’s municipal district
- ensure an appropriate standard of management and presentation of such accommodation
- minimise the risk of such accommodation affecting the peace of neighbours
- implement a registration requirement.
You can visit us at any of our service centres during opening hours to view hard copies of the local laws or contact us to request a copy by mail.
Call us on 1300 322 322 for more information about:
- the application of Governance Local Law
- the process for making or amending a local law.
If you need assistance or are having trouble with the website, please Contact Us.