Prepping and practicing for an emergency (video)
Emergencies can happen at any time, affecting your life in ways you do not expect.
The better prepared you are for an emergency before they strike, the easier it will be for you and your family to recover afterwards.
The person most responsible for your wellbeing before, during and after an emergency is you!
Prepare an emergency plan and pack an emergency kit with all the items you and your family might need for survival during and to help you recover after an emergency.
Preparing for emergencies will help you feel more confident, in control and able to cope when an emergency strikes.
Visit Emergency Prepare website for quizzes, games and more information preparing for an emergency.
Are you prepared for an emergency videos
What you can do now
- Download the VicEmergency App on your smart phone and electronic devices
- Save important contact numbers into your phone such as family and friends and the VicEmergency Hotline 1800 226 226
- Make sure your house number is clearly visible and your driveway is accessible for emergency service vehicles. They need at least a 4 metre wide driveway with at least a 4 metre height clearance
- Write an emergency plan
- If you have animals, make sure they are part of your emergency plan and consider where you will relocate them to
- Practice your emergency plan with the whole family, pets included
- Make copies of important documents such as passports, insurance papers and medical scripts. Save these electronically and ensure you back them up
- Get insurance and review what it covers. Consider household, business and income protection insurance
- Pack an emergency kit and keep it somewhere easily accessible
- Build connections in your local community. Talk to your neighbours about your emergency plans and see if there are ways you can assist each other. Look for local volunteering opportunities or other community groups you can get involved in
- Practice packing your car so you know how long it will take you in an actual emergency
For emergency plan templates, emergency contacts and more, visit
Hardcopies of the Are you prepared for and emergency? Booklet are available at Council facilitates for free.
If you need assistance or are having trouble with the website, please Contact Us.