Flood or Tsunami

Major Infrastructure Damage

Major infrastructure damage e.g. road or bridge collapses, earthquake and landslips should be reported to the SES, phone 132 500.


If your property is near a watercourse or is low lying, it could be prone to flooding even if you have never seen floodwaters there. .

If your area is flood prone, consider alternatives to carpeting (e.g. removable rugs). In ground level rooms tiled walls are less likely to be damaged and are more easily cleaned following flood.

In the event of flooding from heavy rain and watercourses:

  • Listen to ABC 774AM or your local radio station for warning and advice
  • Plan which indoor items you will raise or empty if water threatens your home
  • Prepare to move furniture, vehicles, outdoor equipment, garbage, chemicals and poisons to higher locations
  • If necessary, turn off power, water and gas
  • For flood damage to your house phone SES on 132 500.
  • For flood information visit the SES website.


Even though the overall tsunami risk to Victoria is lower than many other parts of the world, a tsunami may still impact the Victorian coast. The largest tsunami to affect Victoria in recent times occurred in May 1960 after a 9.5 magnitude earthquake in Chile.

TsunamiSafe has put together some important information that can help you learn more about what you can do to prepare for tsunami.