What Business Permits do I need?
If you are opening or expanding a business, you may need one or more permits from Council. Our Business Concierge service can assist by providing you with a single contact point to guide you through the permit application process.
Ask our Business Concierge
This service is particularly helpful for businesses that need more than one type of permit. The Business Concierge will:
- provide all the information you require to open or expand your business
- help you to understand which permits you will require
- assist you to complete and submit permit applications
- provide advice on other aspects of running your business
Submit an online enquiry with some simple information about your business and the Business Concierge will be in touch with you within 1 business day.
Submit an enquiry to the Business Concierge
Alternatively, contact Council on 1300 322 322 and ask to speak to the Business Concierge.
Which permits might I need?
The following information provides an overview of the types of permits your business may require.
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you are likely to need a planning permit:
- Are you changing the business type from its current form?
- Are you changing the trading hours of the business?
- Applying for or altering a liquor licence
- Are you adding or changing signage on the front of a building?
- Are you looking to paint a heritage listed building?
- Do you have a car park or are you seeking a reduction in the car parking requirements?
- Do you intend to sell or serve liquor?
Food and health permits
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you are likely to need a health permit:
- Do you intend to sell food or drink on the premises of your business?
- Do you intend to sell health related services (e.g. hairdressing, beauty treatments, tattooing or skin piercing) on your premises?
- Will you be providing accommodation?
Kerbside trading permit
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you are likely to need a kerbside trading permit:
- Are you planning on placing chairs and tables on the footpath?
- Are you planning on placing an A-frame sign or display of goods (e.g. fruit stand) on the footpath
If you answer yes to the following questions, you’ll likely need a building permit:
- Are you planning to carry out any internal renovations on your premises?
- Are you planning to carry out any external or structural building work on your premises?
- Do you want to change the number of people that can occupy your building at any one time?