Extended Outdoor Dining Permit

Frankston City Council is eligible for up to $500,000 in funding to help support hospitality businesses as part of the Victorian Government’s $87.5 million Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package, which aims to provide enhanced outdoor dining opportunities for local cafés, restaurants, pubs and clubs.

We understand the impact COVID-19 has had on our local businesses and to assist in reopening, we are implementing a number of options for hospitality businesses extend their outdoor dining. Our hope is that this will provide some support to our local hospitality industry as the COVID-19 restrictions ease across Victoria.

What is Extended Outdoor Dining?

Extended Kerbside Dining is a fast-tracked permit that depending on your particular business will allow you to expand your dining area in one of the following ways:

  • Extend Outdoor Dining onto the footpath outside your premises.
  • Extend Outdoor Dining onto the footpath outside neighbouring premises.
  • Extend Outdoor Dining into on-street parking space immediately in front of your business and adjoining businesses.
  • Extend Outdoor Dining into laneways.
  • Extend Outdoor Dining into courtyards, public spaces or parks.

The Extended Outdoor Dining Permits will be valid until 30th June 2022 and are free for all eligible hospitality businesses within the Frankston Municipality.

  • Nepean Highway Extended Dining Outdoor Parklet Permits will be valid until December 2021


Is my Business eligible?

Eligibility for Extended Outdoor Dining will be assessed based on the following criteria:

  • Is your hospitality business registered within the Frankston Municipality?
  • Does your business have a COVID-19 Safe Plan in place?
  • How will your business be able to manage social distancing?
  • How will your business be able to protect the safety of your patrons?
  • How will extending your dining area impact pedestrian access, residents and essential service vehicles?

How will this affect my Liquor Licence?

You will need to apply for a temporary limited licence for extended outdoor dining through the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR).

Please note, you will need to obtain your Extended Kerbside Dining Permit from Council prior to applying for your temporary licence through VGCLR.

For further information or to apply please visit the VCGLR website.

What do I need to do before I apply?

To ensure the application process is as streamlined as possible we encourage you to:

Please download and read the Guidelines document for outdoor dining(PDF, 1011KB)

  1. Please contact the Business Concierge on 1300 322 322 to discuss the options available
  2. Contact your insurance company to extend your public liability to the required $20 million coverage.
  3. If you’re planning on extending in front of a neighbouring business, please ensure that you have a letter of support from the neighbouring business.
  4. Ensure you have an updated Site Plan, which includes the red line if your business has a liquor licence.
  5. Visit the VCGLR website regarding liquor licencing requirements
  6. Visit the Business Victoria website for information of applying for grants for business owners. These grants can assist with the cost of outdoor furniture, screens and umbrellas.

How do I apply?

To lodge an online application below, you will need the follow information

  1. Your name and contact details
  2. Business Name
  3. Business Address
  4. Certificate of Currency/Public Liability of $20 million (to be uploaded)
  5. Letter of Support from neighbouring business (if applicable)
  6. Site Plan (to be uploaded)
  7. Site Plan, including the red line if applicable (to be uploaded)

Apply for an Extended Outdoor Dining Permit

What happens next?

  1. Once Council receives your application you will receive an email confirming that your application has been received
  2. Your will receive advice from Council about your application within 3-5 business days
  3. If your application is approved, you can now apply to the VCGLR for a temporary limited licence for extended outdoor dining.

Further Information?

For further information please contact Business Concierge on:

P. 1300 322 322 E. info@frankston.vic.gov.au