Extended Outdoor Dining Program

Outdoor Dining Seaford

As the Victorian Government moves towards easing COVID-19 restrictions, hospitality businesses can start to reopen with enhanced outdoor dining spaces to align with COVID safe measures. Frankston City Council is eligible for up to $500,000 in funding to help support hospitality businesses as part of the Victorian Government’s $87.5 million Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package

To assist businesses to reopen, we are reviewing a number of options for outdoor dining to support our local hospitality industry. Parks, footpaths, courtyards, car park trading (parklet) and public spaces are all potential places that are being considered to host outdoor events or dining.

As part of its $6.434 million Relief and Recovery Package, Council is also offering free car parking for the first two hours in its off-street car parks to encourage locals back into the CBD.

Find out more and apply

Extended Outdoor Dining Survey Results

Last year Council ramped up outdoor dining to support our local hospitality industry following pandemic restrictions. From kerbside, footpaths, courtyards, public spaces and car park trading (parklets), to our shade sails, umbrella’s and planter boxes, out city was transformed to host some pretty awesome outdoor events or dining!

Following massive feedback received from permit holders and businesses, we reached out to the broader community for their feedback on the future of the outdoor dining experience in our beloved Frankston. Over 700 results were received with major insights shaping the future of the Extended Outdoor Dining Program; check the full survey results below.

Victorian Government Grants

As part of the Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package, funding of $58 million is available to hospitality businesses both unlicensed and licensed, such as restaurants, cafés, pubs/taverns, bars, clubs and takeaway food venues to help them adapt their trading operations to focus on outdoor dining.

Eligible businesses can apply for a grant of $5,000 under the Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package. A key eligibility criteria is that you must hold or have applied for the relevant permits for expanded or enhanced outdoor dining and food service.

Find out more about these grants here


Please check back here over the coming days for further FAQ's, guidelines and application availability.

What is a parklet?

A parklet is where a business can trade via an adjacent kerbside car park or that of a neighbouring business. If your business has an appropriate parklet location you can express your interest by contacting us.

What is footpath trading?

Footpath trading refers to utilising part of the footpath in front of your business for commercial purposes such as outdoor dining.

When is this occurring?

Council is working closely with local businesses to fast track these option for reopening around 19 October, depending on further Victorian Government announcements.

How can my business participate?

Please phone us on 1300 322 322 and ask to speak to the Business Concierge.

Where can I apply for an extended kerbside permit?

Applications for an extended outdoor dining permit are available here.