Government Business Services

The Victorian and Australian Governments both offer a range of services and programs to assist various businesses in areas such as export and research and development. Your business may also need to obtain a licence, permit or approval from one of the many government agencies to operate.

State Government

Business Victoria 

The Business Victoria website operated by the Department of Business and Innovation has extensive information for businesses such on licences and permits, assistance programs, and tips and templates to grow your business.

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Consumer Affairs Victoria is a business unit of the Department of Justice, one of 10 departments within the Victorian government. We are Victoria's consumer affairs regulator. Our purpose is to help Victorians be responsible and informed businesses and consumers.

Our goals:

  • empowering consumers 
  • creating a competitive, fair and safe trading environment 
  • protecting vulnerable and disadvantaged consumers 
  • building our organisational capability.

Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation

The VCGLR is responsible for issuing liquor licences and regulation of the gambling industry. The website also allows employees to update their knowledge of responsible liquor serving practices through the Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) refresher course. The website also provides information on licences required to work in the gambling industry.

State Revenue Office

The State Revenue Office collects Victorian Government taxes and duties that some businesses may be required to pay such as payroll tax.

Department of Health

Food, health, wellbeing and accommodation businesses often need to meet certain standards to operate in Victoria. This website offers information and templates for food and health businesses to follow in their operations. If you operate or are starting a business in one of these industries, visit the relevant links on this website or contact the Environmental Health Department at Frankston City Council on 9784 1072.

Victorian Small Business Commissioner

The VSBC provides a quick, effective and low cost dispute resolution service for businesses in dispute with other businesses, or government. Many disputes referred to the VSBC are resolved at no cost to either party through early engagement by experienced Dispute Management Officers. If the dispute remains , parties are invited to attend a mediation sessions, with an independent, neutral mediator. Since 2003, around 80% of mediations have been settled, avoiding the cost, delay and distraction of litigation.

WorkSafe Victoria

WorkSafe Victoria is the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) authority for the State of Victoria.

Broadly, the responsibilities of WorkSafe are to:

  • help avoid workplace injuries occurring;
  • enforce Victoria's occupational health and safety laws;
  • provide reasonably priced workplace injury insurance for employers;
  • help injured workers back into the workforce;
  • manage the workers' compensation scheme by ensuring the prompt delivery of appropriate services and adopting prudent financial practices.

Federal Government

The Australian Government's principal business resource offers you simple and convenient access to all the government information, forms and services you need. It's a whole-of-government service providing essential information on planning, starting and growing your business.

Australian Taxation Office

For all the information about Australian Business Number (ABN), Goods and Services Tax (GST), Pay As You Go (PAYG), Superannuation and lots more, please contact the Australian Taxation Office.

Australian Business Licence and Information Service

ABLIS helps you find the government licences, permits, approvals, registrations, codes of practice, standards and guidelines you need to know about to meet your compliance responsibilities.

If you are starting, operating, growing, or closing a business, ABLIS will reduce the run-around and give you the time to get on with business.

Australian Securities and Investment Commission

ASIC is Australia's corporate, markets and financial services regulator. The ASIC website allows you to search, register business names and incorporate your business.


Austrade is the Australian Government's trade and investment development agency. If your business is planning on exporting or expanding overseas Austrade offers a variety of services and grants to assist.

Australian Customs and Border Protection Service

Customs is responsible for managing the security and integrity of the Australian border, this includes the import and export of goods. Customs applies various laws, duties and tariffs on goods crossing the border. Businesses that plan on importing or exporting should visit the Customs website for further information regarding their obligations.

IP Australia 

IP Australia is the Federal Government agency responsible for administer legislation relating to intellectual property and registering trademarks, patents, designs and plant breeders rights. If you want to protect your business' inventions, brands or ideas contact IP Australia for more information.


AusIndustry is a specialist program delivery division within the Department of Industry, Innovation, Science, Research and Tertiary Educations. AusIndustry assists businesses to grow and compete internationally through providing information, assistance and delivering programs worth about $2 Billion per year across sectors including clean technology, manufacturing, research and development and even home based businesses.

Australian Competition and Consumer Commission

The ACCC promotes competition and fair trade in the market place to benefit consumers, businesses and the community. It also regulates national infrastructure services. Its primary responsibility is to ensure that individuals and businesses comply with the Commonwealth competition, fair trading and consumer protection laws.

Australian Consumer Law

The ACL is a cooperative reform of the Australian Government and the States and Territories, through the Ministerial Council on Consumer Affairs (MCCA).

This website is a great resource for consumers and businesses regarding their rights and obligations.

Fair Work Ombudsman

The Fair Work Ombudsman is independent of the Government and has legislative responsibility for promoting compliance, as well as harmonious, productive and cooperative workplace relations. To find out employer and employee obligations are regarding pay, leave, dismissal and National Employment Standards visit this site or call on 13 13 94.