What business permits you may need
If you are opening or expanding a business, you may need one or more permits from Council.
Our Business team can help guide you through the permit application process. Call us on 1300 322 322 if you have any questions.
Permits you may need
Information to help you understand the types of permits your business may require.
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you will likely need a planning permit:
- Are you changing the business type from its current form?
- Are you changing the trading hours of the business?
- Do you intend to sell or serve liquor?
- Are you applying for, or altering a liquor licence?
- Are you adding or changing signage on the front of a building?
- Are you planning to paint a heritage listed building?
- Do you have a car park or are you seeking a reduction in the car parking requirements?
Food and health permits
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you will likely need a health permit:
- Do you intend to sell food or drink on the premises of your business?
- Will your business sell health-related services (such as hairdressing, beauty treatments, tattooing or skin piercing)?
- Will you be providing accommodation?
Kerbside trading permit
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you likely need a kerbside trading permit:
- Are you planning on placing chairs and tables on the footpath?
- Are you planning on placing an A-frame sign or display of goods (fruit stand) on the footpath?
If you answer yes to the following questions, you will likely need a building permit:
- Are you planning to carry out any internal renovations on your premises?
- Are you planning to carry out any external or structural building work on your premises?
- Do you want to change the number of people that can occupy your building at any one time?
If you need assistance or are having trouble with the website, please Contact Us.