Kerbside trading permits


You need a permit to place items on the footpath as part of your business.

Frankston City Council supports kerbside trading for local businesses. It add to the atmosphere of our shopping and dining precincts. However, Council also needs to keep people who use footpaths safe.

Find out about your business requirements and apply for a kerbside trading permit.

Kerbside trading activities

Kerbside trading activities include:

  • display of goods
  • outdoor dining (including tables, chairs, umbrellas, screens, awnings, outdoor gas heaters)
  • planter boxes
  • temporary signage (including a-frame signs)

See the Kerbside Trading Guidelines(PDF, 1MB) for more information. These can help you understand your requirements as a business owner.


General conditions for a kerbside trading permit include:

  • You are able to use the footpath for kerbside trading during normal business operating hours.
  • You must keep all activities contained within the trading zone.
  • You can not create trip hazards or stop the safe flow of pedestrian traffic.
  • Business operators must follow all relevant legislation, permits, licences, leases and  local laws.

See the Kerbside Trading Guidelines(PDF, 1MB) for more information.


All fees are non-refundable. 

Activity Fee 
Application Fee – A-frame $190.00 per application
Application fee - outdoor dining $125.00 per application  
Application fee - display of goods $130.00 per application
Moveable Advertising Sign (A-frame) $175.00 per unit (one unit only allowed)
Mobile advertising sign (A-frame)  $630.00 per unit (one unit only allowed)
Display of goods
$370.00 per unit
Display of goods/alternate with A-frame
$370.00 per unit
Table (non-licensed)
$80.00 per unit
Table (licensed)
$100.00 per unit
Chair (non-licensed)
$50.00 per unit
Chair (licensed)
$60.00 per unit

Submit your application

Your permit application must include the following information:

  • Certificate of Currency (Public Liability Insurance)
    • Your cover must be current for the date/s requested and show cover to the value of (or greater than) $10 million.
    • You must provide a copy of your Public Liability Insurance to Council each year.
  • Site Plan 1:100
    • This mush show existing conditions.
    • You can submit a full colour photograph outlining:
      • Width of the business frontage and width of the footpath from front of kerb to the front property boundary.
      • Location of building lines and type of abutting uses.
      • Location of existing trees, light poles, signs, existing street furniture, pits, fire hydrants, car parking, bus stops and other infrastructure on the footpath.

Submit your application

We are unable to process applications submitted without the required documentation.

More information

You can call us on 1300 322 322 if you have questions related to your application.