Extended Outdoor Dining permit

Outdoor Dining Seaford


Applications are now open for Frankston City Council's free extended outdoor dining permit. 

Eligible hospitality businesses can apply to extend their outdoor trading. Extended outdoor dining permit are valid until 30th June 2022. We've fast-tracked the application process to allow eligible businesses to quickly extend their outdoors trading quickly.  

As part of its $6.434 million Relief and Recovery Package, Council is also offering free car parking for the first two hours in its off-street car parks to encourage locals back into the CBD. 

What is extended outdoor dining?

The extended outdoor dining is a fast-tracked permit that lets eligible businesses extend trading:

  • onto the footpath outside your premises
  • onto the footpath outside neighbouring premises
  • into on-street parking space immediately in front of your business
  • into laneways
  • into courtyards, public spaces or parks.

Extended outdoor dining permits are valid until 30th June 2022. 


We assess eligibility for extended outdoor dining based on the following:

  • Is your hospitality business registered within the Frankston Municipality?
  • Does your business have a COVID-19 Safe Plan in place?
  • How will your business be able to manage social distancing?
  • How will your business be able to protect the safety of your patrons?
  • Will extending your dining area impact pedestrian access, residents and essential service vehicles?


This permit is free for all eligible hospitality businesses within the Frankston Municipality. 

Changes to your Liquor Licence

You will need a temporary limited licence for extended outdoor dining. Apply through the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR).

You need an extended outdoor dining permit from Council before you can apply for the temporary licence through VGCLR. For further information or to apply please visit the VCGLR website.


To ensure the application process is as quick as possible, we recommend that you:

  • Download and read the Extended Outdoor Dining Guidelines(PDF, 1011KB).
  • Contact your insurance company to extend your public liability. The permit requires $20 million coverage.
  • If you plan to extend in front of a neighbouring business, you will need a letter of support from the business owner.
  • Update your site plan (including the red line if your business has a liquor licence).
  • Visit the VCGLR website to learn about liquor licensing requirements.
  • Visit the Business Victoria website for information about grants available for business owners. These grants can assist with the cost of outdoor furniture, screens and umbrellas.

Submit your application

Survey results

Last year Council ramped up outdoor dining to support our local hospitality industry following pandemic restrictions. From kerbside, footpaths, courtyards, public spaces and car park trading (parklets), to our shade sails, umbrella’s and planter boxes, out city was transformed to host some pretty awesome outdoor events or dining!

Following massive feedback received from permit holders and businesses, we reached out to the broader community for their feedback on the future of the outdoor dining experience in our beloved Frankston. Over 700 results were received with major insights shaping the future of the Extended Outdoor Dining Program; check the full survey results below.

Victorian Government Grants

As part of the Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package, funding of $58 million is available to hospitality businesses both unlicensed and licensed, such as restaurants, cafés, pubs/taverns, bars, clubs and takeaway food venues to help them adapt their trading operations to focus on outdoor dining.

Eligible businesses can apply for a grant of $5,000 under the Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package. A key eligibility criteria is that you must hold or have applied for the relevant permits for expanded or enhanced outdoor dining and food service.

Find out more about available grants.


Common questions about extended outdoor dining permits.

What is a parklet?

A parklet is where a business can trade via an adjacent kerbside car park or that of a neighbouring business. If your business has an appropriate parklet location you can express your interest by contacting us.

What is footpath trading?

Footpath trading refers to using part of the footpath in front of your business for commercial purposes (such as outdoor dining).

When is this happening?

This permit is currently available and valid until 30th June 2022.

Where can I apply for an extended outdoor dining permit?

You can submit your application online. 

More information

For more information, please call us on 1300 322 322 or email info@frankston.vic.gov.au

A member of our Business team is available Monday to Friday to answer your questions.