How to apply for a Filming or Photography Permit
In order to ensure that filming/photography is carried out in a safe manner and that parks, gardens, etc are not already booked, it is required that companies/individuals apply to Council for permission to carry out their activities.
Most commercial filming must apply for a permit to use public space. If your filming activities are minor and ‘low impact’, please contact Council to discuss requirements and permission.
To approve a low impact filming activity, we’ll require proof of your current public liability insurance and 10 business days’ notice.
Filming Application Requirements
Before you begin your application, you will need to ensure that you have:
- Full details of the location and estimated time of the proposed filming
- Full contact details of all involved
- Details of any pedestrian management, safety or traffic management plans
- Site plans
- Resident/trader notifications
- A copy of public liability insurance for the filming activity
Submission of an application form does not constitute approval for filming. Internal stakeholders will then consider your application and you will be contacted with details of further information required to complete your application.
Filming Permit Fees
Currently the City of Frankston does not charge a fee for low level filming/photography or promotions, however, fees do apply for Commercially Run events
In August 2014 the Victorian Government passed new legislation to standardise the process for obtaining commercial filming permits on public land managed by local councils and state government agencies in Victoria.
The Filming Approval Act 2014, effective 1 March 2015, provides a framework for the approval of filming permits. It outlines eight film friendly principles and the guidelines for commercial filming on public land across the state.
Application Decision and Timeframe
- Submission of an application form does not constitute approval for filming/photography. Internal stakeholders will then consider your application and you will be contacted with details of further information required to complete your application.
- Please note we require you to submit your event application a minimum 10 business days prior to when the filming or photography takes place.
- This time is used to circulate your application around Council to ensure all necessary stakeholders have been advised and allows time to gain their approval.
- Provided all information has been supplied on time, and there are no major concerns your permit will be issued between 3 and 5 days prior to filming/photography.
- Filming and photography will be approved or declined on its feasibility, clash with other functions/events, impact to the city and community, benefit to Frankston ect.
If you have any questions in regard to this process or generic event assistance and advice, please contact the Major Event unit at Frankston City Council.
Frankston City Council
PO Box 490
P. 1300 322 322
PDF Files Disclaimer
Adobe Acrobat is used to view Portable Document Files (PDF). Download the latest version of Adobe Reader from the Adobe website (the Adobe website opens in a new window).
All PDF files on this website open in a new window. If you cannot access a PDF document on this page, contact Frankston Council on 1300 322 322 for more details, or for a hard copy of the document.