Noise from residential sources, which may be affecting other residents, may be subject to Regulations. Council's Environmental Health Officers investigate residential noise using the Environment Protection (Residential Noise) Regulations 1997.

If this does not resolve the problem, the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria may be able to assist. This organisation helps people settle their disputes in a cooperative and lasting way. Their service is free and confidential.


Residents should restrict the time they use noisy appliances or equipment to within the hours prescribed in the Residential noise fact sheet.

Residental Noise

Residential Noise is assessed by Council's Environmental Health Officers taking into consideration the following factors:

  • Volume
  • Intensity
  • Duration
  • Time
  • Place

Noisy Neighbours

If you have noisy neighbours the best approach is to talk to them about the noise affecting you and to try and settle the problem. You could explain the times outlined in the Noise Schedule as they may not be aware of these restrictions. It is important to keep on friendly terms with your neighbours.

If your attempt has failed to resolve differences with your neighbour, you can seek assistance from Council or Police.

Construction Noise

Should you have a problem with noise from houses under construction the noise schedule may regulate this. Noise from construction equipment such as jackhammers and power tools may be classed as unreasonable if used outside of allowable times.

Delivery trucks

Trucks and other vehicles used to deliver goods to supermarkets and other shops in residential areas can be controlled by the Noise Schedule or may also be covered under the Planning Permit conditions.

Complaints about noise in a residential area should be directed to Council Health Services.

Commercial Noise

Factories/Large commercial properties

  • The Environment Protection Authority (EPA) sets limits under its (Control of Noise from commerce, industry and trade) Policy. The EPA will investigate noise reports about major industries.

Smaller shops/Commercial properties

  • Complaints should be referred to Council's Environmental Health officers.

Entertainment Noise

Loud noise from venues can be a big problem to those living close by. The EPA (Control of Music Noise from Public Places) Policy is generally referenced in the venue's Liquor Licence and the planning permit.

Complaints about large music venues and outdoor music events should be directed to the EPA. For smaller venues such as hotels, restaurants and nightclubs contact Council's Environmental Health officers.

Vehicle Noise

  • It is an offence to own or use a noisy vehicle
  • Reports about noise from general traffic flow or individual noisy vehicles should be referred to VicRoads and the Police
  • The use of recreational vehicles, mini bikes and trail bikes on residential properties is covered under Council's Local Law No.7. For complaints relating to noise from recreational vehicles.
  • Vehicles left idling for some time or at unreasonable volumes can be investigated by Council's Environmental Health officers

The Environment Protection (Residential Noise) Regulations do not apply to vehicles coming and going from a dwelling.

Contact Us

For further information contact:

  • Frankston City Council on 1300 322 322 
  • Frankston Police 000
  • Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000 

PDF Files Disclaimer

Get Adobe ReaderAdobe Acrobat is used to view Portable Document Files (PDF). Download the latest version of Adobe Reader from the Adobe website (the Adobe website opens in a new window).

All PDF files on this website open in a new window. If you cannot access a PDF document on this page, contact Frankston Council on 1300 322 322 for more details, or for a hard copy of the document.



Back to top